Westland Township, Guernsey County, Ohio
|Westland Township, Guernsey County, Ohio|
Barnett-Criss House, built 1875
Location of Westland Township in Guernsey County
|• Total||25.4 sq mi (65.7 km2)|
|• Land||25.3 sq mi (65.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||915 ft (279 m)|
|• Density||82/sq mi (31.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086193|
Located in the southwestern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Adams Township - north
- Cambridge Township - northeast
- Jackson Township - east
- Spencer Township - southeast
- Rich Hill Township, Muskingum County - southwest
- Union Township, Muskingum County - west
- Highland Township, Muskingum County - northwest corner
No municipalities are located in Westland Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Westland township, Guernsey County, Ohio". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 20, 2017.
- Sarchet, Cyrus Parkinson Beatty (1911). History of Guernsey County, Ohio, Volume 1. B.F. Bowen & Company. p. 332.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.