Westmorland County Agricultural Society
The Westmorland County Agricultural Society (WCAS, established 1799) is a registered charity which supports agriculture and related activities in and around the former county of Westmorland, England. Its activities include the annual Westmorland County Show. It was previously known as the Westmorland and Kendal District Agricultural Society.
The Society's objectives are:
(A) To promote and improve agriculture, horticulture, allied industries, rural crafts, the breeding of livestock, forestry and conservation and in particular in the old county of Westmorland and those parts of adjoining counties which are within a fifty five mile radius of Lane Farm, Crooklands, Milnthorpe, Cumbria; (B) To promote such charitable purposes as the charity trustees of the Society shall think fit.
Westmorland County Show
The annual county show takes place on the second Thursday of September at the Society's showground and is claimed to be "one of the largest one day Shows in the Country". It includes competitive classes for heavy and light horses, beef and dairy cattle, sheep, pigs, goats, dogs, alpacas, rural crafts and Cumberland and Westmorland wrestling. There are several hundred trade stands, and over 30,000 people attend each year.
Other events at the Society's showground
- Charity Commission. The Westmorland County Agricultural Society, registered charity no. 226087. (record for 1964-2003)
- Charity Commission. Westmorland County Agricultural Society Ltd, registered charity no. 1067224. (record for 2003 onwards)
- "Westmorland County Show". Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- "Country Fest 2014: A Feast for All Senses - For Country Lovers". WCAS. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- "Red Rose 2014". Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- "Where to get Elton John tickets for South Lakeland gig". Westmorland Gazette. 4 December 2014. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- Bingham, Roger (1999). From Fell and Field: A History of the Westmorland County Show, 1799-1999. Cicerone. p. 192. ISBN 978-1-85284-290-1.
- Official website
- Charity Commission. Westmorland County Agricultural Society Ltd, registered charity no. 1067224.
|This article about an organisation in England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|