Westmount High School
|Westmount High School|
4350 St. Catherine St. West
|School type||Advanced Placement, Public|
|Motto||dux vitæ ratio|
(reason is the guide of life)
|School board||English Montreal School Board|
|Team name||Westmount Knights|
|Last updated: February 20, 2019|
Westmount High School (French: École secondaire Westmount) is a public secondary school located in Westmount, Quebec, Canada. Westmount High is Quebec's first and only public school to offer Advanced Placement (AP) courses.
Despite being located in one of the wealthiest suburbs of Montreal, the school attracted a diverse mix of students from all neighbourhoods and racial backgrounds. A long-time teacher at the school noted that most wealthy families would send their children to private schools, so the school received mostly students from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- George Alevisatos, retired CFL player
- Jesse Camacho, actor
- John E. Cleghorn, banker, chancellor of Wilfrid Laurier University
- Leonard Cohen, poet, musician, writer
- Stockwell Day, Canadian politician (provincial and federal), former leader of the Canadian Alliance
- Jeremy Howick, Oxford philosopher and medical researcher
- Kamala Harris, American politician, U.S. Senator from California (2017–present); 2020 Democratic vice presidential nominee
- Jeffrey Khaner, Principal Flutist, Philadelphia Orchestra, Flute Professor Juilliard School and Curtis Institute
- Mary Jane Lamond, folk musician
- David H. Levy, astronomer, discoverer of 22 comets
- Mila Mulroney, wife of former Prime Minister of Canada Brian Mulroney
- Alfred Powis, businessman
- Johnny Peirson, professional ice hockey player and colour commentator
- Joanna Pettet actressWalter Winchell AP Oct 4 1962
- Art Ross, professional ice hockey player and executive early 20th century
- Moshe Safdie, class of '55, architect (famous for Montreal's Expo 67's "Habitat 67" apartment complex)
- Norma Shearer, actress
- A. J. M. Smith, poet
- Edgar William Richard Steacie, chemist, president 1952-62 of the National Research Council of Canada
- Gordon Wasserman, class of '55 Rhodes Scholar Oxford University, appointed member of the UK House of Lords, 2011
- Secondary School Search, English Montreal School Board, retrieved September 12, 2019
- History of Westmount High School
- "Schools". Protestant School Board of Greater Montreal. January 17, 1998. Archived from the original on May 24, 1998.
- In Canada, Kamala Harris, a Disco-Dancing Teenager, Yearned for Home
- Kamala Harris’s ‘Canadian Dream’
- Suburban, Mike Cohen The. ""Less Than Kind" Pandemic has actor Jesse Camacho under "Locke & Key"". The Suburban Newspaper. Retrieved October 30, 2020.
- Nadel, Ira B. Various Position: A Life of Leonard Cohen. Pantheon Books: New York, 1996.
- U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris’s classmates from her Canadian high school cheer her potential run for president
- "Kamala Harris: Montreal's Once Resident". Curiosity Shots. September 19, 2020. Retrieved October 30, 2020.
- "Rising Democratic party star Kamala Harris has Montreal roots". CTV News. The Canadian Press. October 9, 2017. Retrieved June 16, 2019.
- Dale, Daniel (December 29, 2018). "U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris's classmates from her Canadian high school cheer her potential run for president". Toronto Star. Retrieved June 16, 2019.
- Playbill Poor Richard
- "Hockey Hall of Fame Spotlight One on One with Art Ross". www.hhof.com. Hockey Hall of Fame. Retrieved August 29, 2018.
- Lambert, Gavin (1990). Norma Shearer: A Life. New York: Alfred A. Knopf. p. 15. ISBN 978-0-394-55158-6.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- "University of Toronto Representative Poetry Online". rpo.library.utoronto.ca. University of Toronto. Retrieved August 29, 2018.
- Official website
- Westmount High School at the Wayback Machine (archive index)
- WHOBA a Westmount High School alumni web site
- WHS alumni web site
|This Quebec school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|