Location in Dane County and the state of Wisconsin.
|• Total||27.2 sq mi (70.5 km2)|
|• Land||22.2 sq mi (57.6 km2)|
|• Water||5.0 sq mi (13.0 km2)|
|Elevation||876 ft (267 m)|
|• Density||161.3/sq mi (62.3/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1584415|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 27.2 square miles (70.6 km²), of which, 22.2 square miles (57.6 km²) of it is land and 5.0 square miles (13.0 km²) of it (18.39%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,586 people, 1,546 households, and 1,049 families residing in the town. The population density was 161.3 people per square mile (62.3/km²). There were 1,752 housing units at an average density of 78.8 per square mile (30.4/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 97.69% White, 0.61% African American, 0.17% Native American, 0.86% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 0.25% from other races, and 0.33% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.78% of the population.
There were 1,546 households out of which 25.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.4% were married couples living together, 3.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.1% were non-families. 25.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.32 and the average family size was 2.80.
In the town, the population was spread out with 20.8% under the age of 18, 4.7% from 18 to 24, 27.3% from 25 to 44, 32.2% from 45 to 64, and 15.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females, there were 104.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $64,750, and the median income for a family was $75,357. Males had a median income of $51,671 versus $34,671 for females. The per capita income for the town was $40,268. About 0.7% of families and 3.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under age 18 and 3.5% of those age 65 or over.
- Edward E. Fitzgibbon, Wisconsin State Assemblyman, farmer, and teacher lived in the town; Fitzgibbon served as Westport Town Clerk.
- John H. Tierney, Wisconsin State Assemblyman and farmer, lived in the town; Tierney served as chairman of the Westport Town Board.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 1885,' Biographical Sketch of Edward Edwin Fitz Gibbon, pg. 429
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 1880,' Biographical Sketch of John H. Tierney, pg. 510