Westridge, Edmonton

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Westridge
Neighbourhood
Westridge is located in Edmonton
Westridge
Westridge
Location of Westridge in Edmonton
Coordinates: 53°30′25″N 113°36′14″W / 53.507°N 113.604°W / 53.507; -113.604
Country Canada
Province Alberta
CityEdmonton
Quadrant[1]NW
Ward[1]5
Sector[2]West
Area[3][4]West Jasper Place
Government
 • Administrative bodyEdmonton City Council
 • CouncillorKaren Leibovici
Area
 • Total0.75 km2 (0.29 sq mi)
Elevation
671 m (2,201 ft)
Population
(2012)[7]
 • Total1,327
 • Density1,769.3/km2 (4,582/sq mi)
 • Change (2009–12)
Decrease-6.2%
 • Dwellings
496

Westridge is a residential neighbourhood in west Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

The neighbourhood is bounded to the north and northeast by Patricia Ravine and to the south by Wolf Willow Ravine. The southeast tip overlooks the North Saskatchewan River valley. The western boundary is 170 Street. Access to the neighbourhood is exclusively by way of Wolf Willow Road.

According to the 2001 federal census, four out of five (80.2%) of the residences in Westridge were built during the 1970s. The remaining one in five (19.8%) were built during the 1980s.[8]

Almost all of the houses in the neighbourhood (93.5%), according to the 2005 municipal census, are single-family dwellings. The remainder (6.5%) are row houses. Almost all residences in the neighbourhood are owner-occupied, with less than 1% being rented.[9]

Residential street in Westridge

The north west corner of the neighbourhood is close to the 170 Street interchange with Whitemud Drive. This provides people in the neighbourhood with good access to destinations on the south side including: the University of Alberta, Fort Edmonton Park, and Old Strathcona.

West Edmonton Mall is located to the north of the neighbourhood along 170 Street. Residents also enjoy comparatively good access to the downtown core.

The community is represented by the Westridge Wolf Willow Country Club Community League, established in 1977, which maintains a community hall, outdoor rink and tennis courts located at Wolf Willow Road and Westridge Road.[10][11]

Demographics[edit]

In the City of Edmonton's 2012 municipal census, Westridge had a population of 1,327 living in 496 dwellings,[7] a -6.2% change from its 2009 population of 1,415.[12] With a land area of 0.75 km2 (0.29 sq mi),[6] it had a population density of 1,769.3 people/km2 in 2012.[6][7]

Surrounding neighbourhoods[edit]

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b "City of Edmonton Wards & Standard Neighbourhoods" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
  2. ^ "Edmonton Developing and Planned Neighbourhoods, 2011" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
  3. ^ "The Way We Grow: Municipal Development Plan Bylaw 15100" (PDF). City of Edmonton. 2010-05-26. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
  4. ^ "City of Edmonton Plans in Effect" (PDF). City of Edmonton. November 2011. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
  5. ^ "City Councillors". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
  6. ^ a b c "Neighbourhoods (data plus kml file)". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
  7. ^ a b c "Municipal Census Results – Edmonton 2012 Census". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
  8. ^ http://censusdocs.edmonton.ca/DD23/FEDERAL%202001/Neighbourhood/WESTRIDGE.pdf
  9. ^ http://censusdocs.edmonton.ca/C05002/MUNICIPAL%202005/Neighbourhood/WESTRIDGE.pdf
  10. ^ "Westridge Wolf Willow Country Club Community League". Westridge Wolf Willow Country Club Community League. Retrieved October 14, 2017.
  11. ^ Kuban, Ron (2005). Edmonton's Urban Villages: The Community League Movement. University of Alberta Press. ISBN 9781459303249.
  12. ^ "2009 Municipal Census Results". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.

External links[edit]