The town centre (dark green) and the statistical district (light green) of Westzaan in the municipality of Zaanstad.
Westzaan was a separate municipality until 1974, when it became a part of Zaanstad.
In 2001, the town of Westzaan had 2130 inhabitants. The built-up area of the town was 0.34 km², and contained 834 residences. The statistical district "Westzaan", which covers the village and the surrounding countryside, has a population of around 4580. Westzaan has the only wind powered paper mill in the world.
Famous people from Westzaan
- Ralph Been (soccer player at Northwood University) 1988–present
- Niels Kraaier (foreign correspondent in Australia)
- Wolter Kroes (famous Dutch singer)
- Ad van der Meer and Onno Boonstra, Repertorium van Nederlandse gemeenten, KNAW, 2006.
- Statistics Netherlands (CBS), Bevolkingskernen in Nederland 2001 . Statistics are for the continuous built-up area.
- Statistics Netherlands (CBS), Statline: Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2003-2005 . As of 1 January 2005.
- J. Kuyper, Gemeente Atlas van Nederland, 1865-1870, "Westzaan". Map of the former municipality, around 1868.
|This North Holland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|