|Industry||Visual effects, CGI animation|
|Headquarters||Wellington, New Zealand|
|Peter Jackson, Richard Taylor, Joe Letteri, Wes Takahashi, Eileen Moran, David Conley|
Weta Digital is a digital visual effects company based in Wellington, New Zealand. It was founded by Peter Jackson, Richard Taylor, and Jamie Selkirk in 1993 to produce the digital special effects for Heavenly Creatures. In 2007, Weta Digital’s Senior Visual Effects Supervisor, Joe Letteri, was also appointed as a Director of the company. Weta Digital has won several Academy Awards and BAFTAs.
The company is named after the New Zealand weta, one of the world's largest insects, which is also featured in the logo.
As of 2017, Weta Digital has won six Academy Awards for Best Visual Effects: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001), The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002), The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003), King Kong (2005), Avatar (2009), and The Jungle Book (2016).
Weta Digital has developed several proprietary software packages to achieve groundbreaking visual effects. The scale of the battles required for The Lord of the Rings film trilogy led to the creation of MASSIVE, a program which can animate huge numbers of agents: independent characters acting according to pre-set rules. To recreate 1933 New York for King Kong, Weta created CityBot, an application which could "build" the city on a shot by shot basis.
Kong’s fur also required the development of new simulation and modeling software. A set of tools that combined procedural and interactive techniques added wind to the 460 billion individual strands of fur and modeled interaction with other surfaces. New shaders were written that accounted for the scattering of light from within each hair that added to the volumetric quality of the fur. Large chunks of fur were ripped out and filled in with scars, blood, and the mud of Skull Island. Each frame of fur took 2 gigabytes of data.
For James Cameron's Avatar, Weta modified MASSIVE to give life to the flora and fauna on Pandora, for which the company did most of the visual effects with the four-time Academy Award winner visual effects expert, Joe Letteri, under a team led by executive and producer Eileen Moran. Recently the company has developed their motion capture technique to be able to leave studio for shooting on location, as utilized on the film Rise of the Planet of the Apes and its sequel Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
Film and television visual effects filmography
- Heavenly Creatures (1994)
- Forgotten Silver (1995) (TV)
- The Frighteners (1996/I)
- Contact (1997)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
- Van Helsing (2004)
- I, Robot (2004)
- King Kong (2005)
- X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
- Eragon (2006)
- Bridge to Terabithia (2007)
- Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)
- The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep (2007)
- 30 Days of Night (2007)
- Jumper (2008)
- The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (2008)
- The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008)
- District 9 (2009)
- The Lovely Bones (2009)
- Avatar (2009)
- The A-Team (2010)
- Knight and Day (2010)
- Predators (2010)
- Gulliver's Travels (2010)
- X-Men: First Class (2011)
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)
- The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (2011)
- The Avengers (2012)
- Prometheus (2012)
- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012)
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- Man of Steel (2013)
- Iron Man 3 (2013)
- The Wolverine (2013)
- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)
- Godzilla (2014)
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)
- The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)
- Furious 7 (2015)
- Fantastic Four (2015)
- Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials (2015)
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 (2015)
- Krampus (2015)
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip (2015)
- Deadpool (2016)
- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
- The Jungle Book (2016)
- Central Intelligence (2016)
- Independence Day: Resurgence (2016)
- Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)
- The BFG (2016)
- Pete's Dragon (2016)
- Spectral (2017)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
- Avatar Flight of Passage (2017)
- War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)
- Game of Thrones (Season 7)
- Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017)
- Justice League (2017)
- Maze Runner: The Death Cure (2018)
- Rampage (2018)
- Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
- Deadpool 2 (2018)
- Animal World (2018)
- Mortal Engines (2018)
- Aquaman (2018)
- Alita: Battle Angel (2019)
- The Umbrella Academy (2019)
- Game of Thrones (Season 8)
- Avengers: Endgame (2019)
- Annabelle Comes Home (2019)
- Ad Astra (2019)
- Gemini Man (2019)
- Lady and the Tramp (2019)
- Jumanji: The Next Level (2019)
- Birds of Prey (2020)
- Mulan (2020)
- Black Widow (2020)
- The Green Knight (2020)
- Jungle Cruise (2020)
- The King's Man (2020)
- Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
- The Suicide Squad (2021)
- Avatar 2 (2021)
- Avatar 3 (2023)
- Avatar 4 (2025)
- Avatar 5 (2027)
- Shadow in the Cloud (TBA)
- We Can Be Heroes (TBA)
Some of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- "Another visual effects Oscar for Weta Digital?". Wellington.scoop. Retrieved 2010-01-17.
- "Massive Software". Massive Software. Retrieved 2010-01-17.
- "Interview with Chris White on King Kong". cgarchitect. Retrieved 2010-01-17.
- "Bigger and Badder: How Weta Digital Bulked Up for King Kong". Studio Daily. Retrieved 2010-01-17.
- Alex Ben Block (2009-12-10). "The creatures of 'Avatar' were 15 years in the making". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2010-01-04.
- Barnes, Mike (2012-12-03). "Top Visual Effects Producer Eileen Moran Dies in New Zealand; Worked on 'Avatar,' 'The Hobbit'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2012-12-28.
- Staskiewicz, Keith. "'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes': See Andy Serkis and others go ape in this side-by-side special-effects video -- EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Entertainment Weekly Inc. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- Danny Allen (2011-08-05). "Giz Interviews Weta Digital's Effects Guru, Joe Letteri". Gizmondo. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "The Birth of Weta", 1994, "The Edge" TV series, S2E7
- Gilchrist, Todd (December 17, 2011). "Effects Supremo Joe Letteri Says Zack Snyder Is Placing Emphasis On In-Camera Effects In 'Man of Steel' | The Playlist". IndieWire. Washington, DC, USA: SnagFilms. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- COHEN, DAVID. "Marvel's Alonso to studios: Support Digital Domain". Variety. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Weta Digital". Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- Murphy, Mekado (July 31, 2017). "Inside Avatar, the Theme Park Version". The New York Times. Retrieved August 1, 2017.