|Publisher(s)||Microsoft Game Studios|
|Designer(s)||Phil Saunders (Lead)|
Whacked! is a video game developed by Presto Studios and released in 2002 by Microsoft Game Studios exclusively for the Xbox. It is a gameshow in which creatures compete for the Prize, whatever they wish, by hitting each other with objects such as missiles, hammers and pitchforks.
There are 7 different characters, and even more levels. Levels are usually absurd or surreal, such as the back of a pickup truck involved in a police chase, up in space, on top of buildings, under a Christmas tree, in the Arctic pipeline, at the scene of a car crash, on the roof "Club Baño", in a toy pirate ship floating in a bathtub of electrified water, and a kitchen sink (a reference to the colloquialism "Everything but the kitchen sink").
The game was key to the beta testing of Xbox Live as it and MotoGP demos were distributed to the beta testers. The same Live enabled demos were originally given out for one year with the purchase of the Xbox Live starter kit.
At this time Whacked! is playable on the Xbox 360; however, as of 2010, Xbox Live gameplay is not supported.
The Story begins with seven different contestants, each one of which reflects one of the seven deadly sins:
- Greed: A greedy girl who is, ironically, named Charity
- Gluttony: An oil-eating monster called Toof born from a single cell
- Wrath: A rabbit with a very bad temper named Lucky who is ironically missing all his feet
- Envy: A flightless green Canadian bird named Eugene with a split personality who is desperately trying to fly, and still lives with his mother
- Lust: A seductive blue-haired woman named Lucy who wears a flimsy plastic dress which bursts revealing big blue censor bars
- Sloth: A pale white man named Otto who is constantly sleeping in a living chair (which is love with Lucy and vice versa)
- Pride: an anthropomorphic lion named Lance who is obsessed with exercise
The characters compete in a game show run by Van Tastic, the host (who is a caricature of Elvis Presley), for the mystery prize (which is revealed to be nothing mid-game). The contestants are pitted against each other in different games, such as Dodgeball, King of the Hill, Fragfest, and more. After someone wins the game, the network director calls and cancels the game show and fires Van Tastic. In a rage, Van Tastic destroys the set (revealing it to be Hell), and reveals his true form - the Devil - and tries to kill the contestant who won with the help of his minions (who he refers to as some of his old college buddies). In the final fight, the winning contestant fights and defeats Van Tastic, finally claiming their desire, which varies depending on the character: a chance to sit in the chair (Lucy's wish), a gigantic hamburger (Toof's wish), freedom from Otto and a visit from Lucy (the chair's wish), everything in the world (Eugene's wish- which leaves him wanting even more), an endless supply of presents (Charity's wish), a giant action figure of himself (Lance's wish) or a mechanical foot/weapon and endless targets of Van Tastic and ammo (Lucky's wish). In a surprising twist, after the player gets their wish, the network director calls and says that Van Tastic and his show are back on the air.
- Parker, Sam (September 25, 2002). "Xbox Live starter kit games confirmed". GameSpot. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "Whacked! for Xbox". GameRankings. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "Whacked! for Xbox Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- Marriott, Scott Alan. "Whacked! - Review". AllGame. Archived from the original on November 15, 2014. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- Bramwell, Tom (January 22, 2003). "Whacked!". Eurogamer. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- McNamara, Andy (December 2002). "Whacked!". Game Informer (116): 144. Archived from the original on April 29, 2004. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- Gerstmann, Jeff (October 18, 2002). "Whacked! Review". GameSpot. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- Williams, Bryn (October 19, 2002). "GameSpy: Whacked!". GameSpy. Archived from the original on December 18, 2005. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- Zacarias, Eduardo (October 19, 2002). "Whacked! - XB - Review". GameZone. Archived from the original on January 17, 2008. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- Goldstein, Hilary (October 17, 2002). "Whacked! Review". IGN. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "Whacked!". Official Xbox Magazine: 90. January 2003.
- Semsey, Rob (October 30, 2002). "Whacked! Review (Xbox)". TeamXbox. Archived from the original on September 28, 2011. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- Bub, Andrew (December 9, 2002). "'Whacked' (Xbox) Review". X-Play. Archived from the original on December 19, 2002. Retrieved February 25, 2015.