|Tour by Wham!|
Tour programme cover
|Location||United States, Canada|
|Associated album||Make It Big|
|Start date||August 23, 1985|
|End date||September 10, 1985|
|No. of shows||9|
|Supporting acts||The Pointer Sisters, Chaka Khan, Katrina & the Waves|
|Attendance||200,000 - 302,568|
|Box office||US $8.6 million ($20.03 in 2018 dollars)|
Whamamerica! (also advertised as Make It Big Tour ‘85) was a concert tour by English musical duo Wham!. It was launched due to the success of their 1984 certified multi-platinum studio album Make It Big, which sold four million copies in the United States by the end of the year. The tour spanned nineteen days between August and September 1985, comprising nine shows across the United States and Canada.
The Whamamerica! tour began in late August 1985. It went around the United States, opening at Poplar Creek Music Theater in Illinois in the Midwest, then heading across the border to Canada and all the way down the West Coast to northern and Southern California, south to Texas and then back east to Philadelphia and Detroit. Michael’s look had changed with his hair cut to a shorter length and the colour being close to his natural darker shade. He also had a new designer stubble and larger earrings, a leather jacket and fingerless gloves. Their last ever live US performance was at the Pontiac Silverdome in Detroit. They had played to over 302,568 fans.
- Katrina and the Waves (Los Angeles, Oakland, Miami and Philadelphia)
- The Pointer Sisters (Toronto, Oakland, Miami)
- Chaka Khan (Los Angeles, Philadelphia)
|Fri 23 August 1985||Hoffman Estates, Illinois||United States||Poplar Creek Music Theater|||
|Sun 25 August 1985|
|Wed 28 August 1985||Toronto||Canada||CNE||50,098 / sellout||$1,042,059 (CA$1,302,548)|||
|Fri 30 August 1985||Los Angeles||United States||Hollywood Park|||
|Sun 1 September 1985||Oakland, California||Alameda County Stadium||46,737 / sellout||$817,897|||
|Wed 4 September 1985||Houston||Southern Star Amphitheater|||
|Fri 6 September 1985||Miami||Miami Baseball Stadium||36,390 / sellout||$545,855|||
|Sun 8 September 1985||Philadelphia||Vets Stadium||43,000 / 50,000||$698,000|||
|Tue 10 September 1985||Pontiac, Michigan||Pontiac Silverdome|
- Wham! On the Edge of Heaven - No 1 Magazine, September 28th 1985
- Billboard - 28 Sep 1985
- Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis Community Development Project. "Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–". Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved January 2, 2019.
- Wham by Years - Houston, Texas 1985
- American album certifications – Wham – Make It Big". - Recording Industry Association of America
- Wham! On the Edge of Heaven - No 1 Magazine article, September 28th 1985
- Careless Whispers: The Life & Career of George Michael: Revised & Updated By Robert Steele
- Wham! On the Edge of Heaven - Number one music magazine - September 28th 1985
- Tour dates as printed in the official Whamamerica ‘85 tour programme. Whamamerica! 1985 - Official programme dates.
- Whamamerica! - Tour Dates
- Wham!`s Brand Of Blue-eyed Soul Makes It Big With Young Chicago fans - August 25, 1985|By Lynn Van Matre, Pop music critic.
- Boxscore: Top Concert Grosses - Billboard, September 14, 1985 (P. 54)
- Pop Review - Wham! specks In A Spectacle September 02, 1985
- They're your men..No 1, - November 23rd 1985
- Wham by Years - 1985
- Boxscore: Top Concert Grosses - Billboard, September 28, 1985 (P. 52)