What's New Pussycat? (song)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"What's New Pussycat?"|
|Single by Tom Jones|
|from the album What's New Pussycat?|
|Released||5 June 1965 (US)
9 August 1965 (UK)
|Writer(s)||Burt Bacharach and Hal David|
|Tom Jones UK chronology|
"What's New Pussycat?" is a song written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David for the movie of the same name, sung by Tom Jones. Nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1966 and losing to The Shadow of Your Smile, it was Jones' third UK top 30 record, peaking at number 11. In the US, "What's New Pussycat?" peaked at number 3, and was Tom Jones' second entry on the Top 40.
The original single included a 13-second instrumental introduction, ending in the sound of shattering glass, but later issues omitted this introduction.
It has also been performed by Bobby Darin, Tony Bennett, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Anita Kerr, The Wailers and The Four Seasons. Barbra Streisand performed several lines in her "Color Me Barbra Medley" from the TV special and album Color Me Barbra.
- "Tom Jones - What's New Pussycat? (Vinyl, LP, Album)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- Matthew Greenwald. "What's New Pussycat? - Tom Jones | Listen, Appearances, Song Review". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "TOM JONES | full Official Chart History | Official Charts Company". Officialcharts.com. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits: Eighth Edition. Record Research. p. 333.
- Dominic, Serene (2003). Burt Bacharach, Song by Song: The Ultimate Burt Bacharach Reference for Fans, Serious Record Collectors, and Music Critics. Schirmer Trade Books.
- Anita Kerr. "Anita Kerr Singers - Reflect On The Hits Of Burt Bacharach & Hal David / Velvet Voices And Bold Brass". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2016-09-29.