What's a Woman?
|"What's a Woman?"|
|Single by Vaya Con Dios|
|from the album Night Owls|
|B-side||"Far Gone Now"|
|Released||30 October 1990|
|Format||CD single, CD maxi, 7" single|
|Genre||Pop soul, soul blues|
|Songwriter(s)||Dani Klein, Jean-Michel Gielen,
|Producer(s)||Dani Klein, Dirk Schoufs|
|Vaya Con Dios singles chronology|
"What's a Woman?" is a 1990 pop-rock song recorded by Belgian band Vaya Con Dios. It was the second single from band's second studio album Night Owls and was released in 1990. It achieved success in many European countries. It even topped the chart in the Netherlands, and was a top-five hit for three weeks in France. To date it is Vaya Con Dios' most successful song.
In 2006, the band re-recorded the song as a duet with Aaron Neville, available on its best-of The Ultimate Collection. About this version by Neville, Dani Klein said in an interview : "We were discussing the whole project at Sony BMG and they asked me "Who would you like to do a duet with?" The first person that came into my mind was Aaron Neville, because I'd seen him a few months ago here in Brussels and I was just amazed at his voice! This man has a unique voice... his voice is incomparable. The song goes "What's a woman if a man doesn't treat her right?" And the fact that a man sings that gives it another dimension. I thought that was interesting."
The song is featured in the Swedish movie Vingar av Glas (Wings of Glass), starring Alexander Skarsgård.
These are the formats and track listings of major single releases of "What's a Woman?".
- 7" single
- "What's a Woman?" – 3:56
- "Far Gone Now" – 3:08
- CD maxi
- "What's A Woman?" – 3:56
- "Far Gone Now" – 3:08
- "I Sold My Soul" – 4:56
- Written by Dani Klein, Dirk Schoufs and Jean-Michel Gielen
- Arranged by Dirk Schoufs and Jean-Michel Gielen
- Artwork by Label & Labeat
- Photography by Roger Dijckmans
- Produced by Dani Klein and Dirk Schoufs
Charts and sales
"Paint It, Black" by The Rolling Stones
|Dutch Top 40 number-one single
June 23, 1990 - July 7, 1990
"Dirty Cash (Money Talks)" by The Adventures of Stevie V
- The Ultimate Collection, track listing and chart Lescharts.com (Retrieved April 11, 2009)
- Vaya Con Dios' official site, section "interview" Vayacondios.info (Retrieved April 11, 2009)
- "Vaya Con Dios — "What's a Woman?"". Discogs. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- "What's a Woman?", in various singles charts Lescharts.com (Retrieved April 11, 2009)
- "De Nederlandse Top 40, week 25, 1990". Retrieved 13 April 2009.
- German Singles Chart Musicline.de (Retrieved April 11, 2009)
- "Single top 100 over 1990" (pdf) (in Dutch). Top40. Retrieved 12 April 2010.
- Austrian certifications ifpi.at (Retrieved April 11, 2009)
- Dutch certifications nvpi.nl (Retrieved April 11, 2009)