What Did You Do in the War, Daddy?
|What Did You Do in the War, Daddy?|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Blake Edwards|
|Produced by||Blake Edwards|
|Written by||William Peter Blatty|
|Story by||Maurice Richlin
|Music by||Ray Evans
|Cinematography||Philip H. Lathrop|
|Edited by||Ralph E. Winters|
|Distributed by||United Artists|
|Budget||$ 7,000,000 USD|
|Box office||$2,650,000 (est. US/ Canada rentals)|
A wartime outfit of U.S. soldiers is assigned to capture a village in Sicily, but upon arrival, they discover that the town has been expecting them and will willingly turn itself over to the Americans' rule, provided they are permitted to complete a soccer match and a wine festival.
Romance and frivolity ensue, as a reluctant, by-the-book Capt. Cash is persuaded by easy-going Lt. Christian to go along with the locals' wishes. Mistaking an orgy for an attack, Germans come to the Italians' aide, but the Americans accidentally end up conquering all.
- James Coburn as Lieutenant Jody Christian
- Dick Shawn as Captain Lionel Cash
- Sergio Fantoni as Captain Fausto Oppo
- Giovanna Ralli as Gina Romano
- Aldo Ray as Sergeant Rizzo
- Harry Morgan as Major Pott
- Carroll O'Connor as General Max Bolt
- Leon Askin as Colonel Kastorp
- Rico Cattani as Benedetto (as Henry Rico Cattani)
- Jay Novello as Mayor Giuseppe Romano
- Ralph Manza as Waiter
- Vito Scotti as Frederico
- Johnny Seven as Vittorio
- Art Lewis as Needleman
- William Bryant as Minow
- Kurt Kreuger as German Captain
The title of the film came to Edwards when asked the question by his son Geoffrey. As Edwards was having marital problems at the time he didn't want to leave the United States so Mirisch Productions agreed to film the movie in Lake Sherwood, California for $5 million that included the construction of a large Italian village set. In his study of Edwards, Myron Meisel stated that Coburn imitated Blake Edwards' mannerisms throughout the film.
William Peter Blatty recalled that he and Edwards originally agreed to make the film grim and without comedy for the first twenty minutes. This idea was shelved when during the scene where Captain Cash visits Charlie Company at their chow line he holds out his hand and one of the GI mess orderly's ladles beans into the Captain's hand.
- Tino Balio, United Artists: The Company That Changed the Film Industry, University of Wisconsin Press, 1987 p. 185
- "Big Rental Pictures of 1966", Variety, 4 January 1967 p 8
- Wasson, Sam A Splurch in the Kisser: The Movies of Blake Edwards Wesleyan University Press, 2009
- Meisel, Myron Blake Edwards Coursodon, Jean Pierre & Sauvage, Pierre editors American directors, Volume 2 McGraw-Hill, 1983
- 1994 Blatty Interview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvKJCj6DM7g
- What Did You Do in the War, Daddy? at the Internet Movie Database
- What Did You Do in the War, Daddy? at AllMovie
- What Did You Do in the War, Daddy? at the TCM Movie Database