What Do You Got?
|"What Do You Got?"|
|Single by Bon Jovi|
|from the album Greatest Hits|
|Released||September 21, 2010|
|Format||Digital download, CD|
|Studio||Bay 7 Studios, Valley Village, California
Sparky Dark Studios, Calabasas, California
|Writer(s)||Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora, Brett James|
|Producer(s)||Howard Benson, Bon Jovi(co-producer), Sambora(co-producer)|
|Bon Jovi singles chronology|
"What Do You Got?" is a song by American rock band Bon Jovi. It is one of four songs written for the band's Greatest Hits album, released in November 2010. The song is the first single from the compilation album. The song was released on the band's official website on August 27. It was officially released on September 21, 2010 as a digital download, but the physical single was released in Germany on October 22, 2010.
Background and lyrical content
"What Do You Got?" is a song that was written by Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora and Brett James, produced by Howard Benson and co-produced by Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora. It was recorded in Bay 7 Studios in Valley Village and Sparky Dark Studios in Calabasas, California. The song was written during sessions for The Circle (2009), but it didn't fit that album, so band decided to hold it and finished it for the Greatest Hits (2010). Lyrically, the song is about the esthetic of love. Richie Sambora explained: "It's a worldly thing and it doesn't have to be exactly about romance. It could be about with your family, daughter or son. What Do You Got If you ain't got love. It's a profound statement in it's simplicity."
Music video for the song "What Do You Got?" was directed by Wayne Isham and produced by Dana Marshall. Isham explained: "I dug the 3D process, and it was awesome to execute it with long-time friends and collaborators Bon Jovi. We've worked together a long time, evolving and growing, so I'm happy to continue that tradition with the new medium of 3D".
Release and reception
Originally, Jon Bon Jovi didn't want to release "What Do You Got?" as first single and instead favorised "No Apologies" as a first single candidate. Jon said: "If anyone wants to pick a single, you tell me. What do I know? That was the one that floated to the top, and I was taken aback because it was the (last) of the five I would've picked. But people have really been relating to the lyric, and seemingly for...radio, it's a hit."
Stephen Thomas Erlewine from Allmusic said that "What Do You Got?" and "No Apologies" "will likely not make any subsequent best-of". Mike Diver from BBC said that song is a "by-the-book slowie worthy of a few lighters held aloft". Glenn Osrin from Examiner.com said that song "What Do You Got?" "artistically is as slick, smooth and musically competent as fans expect of Bon Jovi". He also stated that "Jon's voice is crisp and clear, up in front in the mix; and Richie Sambora’s guitar work is neat, clean, and growing more minimal by the minute". Describing the composition, Osrin said that song "continues the bands trend of recording music that tries to be more socially conscious than rollicking".
|U.S. CD Single|
|1.||"What Do You Got?"||Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora, Brett James||3:46|
|German CD Single|
|1.||"What Do You Got?"||Bon Jovi, Sambora, James||3:46|
|2.||"Wanted Dead or Alive" (Live from New Meadowlands Stadium)||Bon Jovi, Sambora||7:09|
|German CD Maxi Single|
|1.||"What Do You Got?"||Bon Jovi, Sambora, James||3:46|
|2.||"Livin' on a Prayer" (Live from New Meadowlands Stadium)||Bon Jovi, Sambora, Desmond Child||7:21|
|3.||"Born to Be My Baby" (Live from New Meadowlands Stadium)||Bon Jovi, Sambora, Child||5:16|
|4.||"What Do You Got?" (Music video)||Bon Jovi, Sambora, James||3:52|
- Jon Bon Jovi – writer, co-producer
- Richie Sambora - writer, co-producer
- Brett James - writer
- Howard Benson - producer
- Mike Plotnikoff - recording engineer
- Chris Lord-Alge - mixing engineer
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||30|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||23|
|European Hot 100 Singles||79|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||23|
|Japan (Japan Hot 100)||43|
|Slovakia (Rádio Top 100)||77|
|Spain Airplay (PROMUSICAE)||20|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||8|
|US Adult Top 40 (Billboard)||16|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||2|
|Austria||August 27, 2010||Radio airplay|
|United States/Canada||August 27, 2010||Radio airplay|
|Malaysia||August 31, 2010||Radio airplay|
|United Kingdom||September 4, 2010||Radio airplay|
|United States||September 21, 2010||Digital download|
|Germany||October 15, 2010||CD single|
"What Do You Got?" was used in a promotional video for Grey's Anatomy in Canada.
- "Bon Jovi Greatest Hits to be released in November worldwide". bonjovi.com. 2010-08-24.
- "Bon Jovi audio - What Do You Got?". bonjovi.com. 2010-08-28.
- "What Do You Got? on bonjovi.de". bonjovi.de.
- What Do You got? (European CD Single). Bon Jovi. New York City: Island. 2010. 0602527548449.
- "Bon Jovi Mulls Solo Album After 'Circle' Tour Wraps". Billboard. 29 October 2010. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- What's Next. January 14, 2011. Event occurs at 8:30 ET. DirecTV. n3D.
- "MERGE@Crossroads' Isham Goes 3D for Bon Jovi". CG Today. November 10, 2010. Retrieved January 18, 2017.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Greatest Hits: The Ultimate Collection - Bon Jovi". Allmusic. Retrieved January 12, 2017.
- Diver, Mike. "Review of Bon Jovi - Greatest Hits". BBC. Retrieved January 12, 2017.
- "Austriancharts.at – Bon Jovi – What Do You Got?" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved February 27, 2011.
- "Bon Jovi – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Bon Jovi. Retrieved February 27, 2011.
- "Chart Search Results - European Hot 100 Singles 2010-11-06". Billboard.biz. Archived from the original on August 7, 2012. Retrieved August 7, 2012.
- "Musicline.de – Bon Jovi Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH. Retrieved February 27, 2011.
- "Chart Search Results - Japan Hot 100 Singles 2010-11-20". Billboard.biz. Archived from the original on August 7, 2012. Retrieved August 7, 2012.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201052 into search. Retrieved November 1, 2012.
- "Top 20 - Lista de Radios - Semana 45: Del 6 al 12 de Noviembre de 2010" (PDF) (in Spanish). Productores de Música de España. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- "Bon Jovi – Chart history" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Bon Jovi. Retrieved February 27, 2011.
- "Bon Jovi – Chart history" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Bon Jovi. Retrieved February 27, 2011.
- "Chart Search Results - Bubbling Under Hot 100 2010-10-09". Billboard.biz. Archived from the original on August 7, 2012. Retrieved August 7, 2012.
- "Aktuelles". oe3.ORF.at. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "What Do You Got? (Ltd. Digipak Edt.): Bon Jovi: Amazon.de: Musik". Amazon.de. 2009-09-09. Retrieved 2012-03-14.