What Goes Around (Dave Holland album)
|What Goes Around|
|Studio album by|
|Studio||Avatar Studios, New York|
|Producer||Dave Holland |
|Dave Holland Big Band chronology|
|Encyclopedia of Popular Music|||
The album features his working quintet of the period augmented to big band size with thirteen members. The record won Holland his first Grammy Award as a leader, in the category Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album. The album has seven tracks, all of which, except "Upswing", are re-arrangements of his previously recorded tunes. Richard S. Ginell's review on AllMusic describes these rearrangements as having "more urgency and more tension".
John Eyles of BBC wrote "...this album is very promising. There are already quite a few milestone albums in Dave Holland's ECM recording career; Conference of the Birds, his stunning debut as a leader, Jumpin In, which introduced his first quintet, and Points of View, the first album from his current quintet, are just the most obvious ones. What Goes Around can be added to that list. In time, it will surely acquire significance as the debut album of Holland's Big Band. It is a solid beginning rather than a sparkling one, but it has many tantalising avenues that cry out to be developed further. As Holland himself has commented about this band, "Something has been put in motion, and suddenly I see what the next ten years are going to be about."
- "Triple Dance" - 9:50
- "Blues for C.M." - 9:02
- "The Razor's Edge" - 6:15
- "What Goes Around" - 17:18
- "Upswing" - 6:51
- "First Snow" - 11:48
- "Shadow Dance" - 14:43
- Dave Holland – double bass
- Antonio Hart – alto saxophone, flute
- Mark Gross – alto saxophone
- Chris Potter – tenor saxophone
- Gary Smulyan – baritone saxophone
- Robin Eubanks, Andre Hayward, Josh Roseman – trombone
- Earl Gardner, Alex Sipiagin, Duane Eubanks – trumpet, flugelhorn
- Steve Nelson – vibraphone
- Billy Kilson – drums
- "Dave Holland: What Goes Around". Sputnikmusic. sputnikmusic.com. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- Larkin, Colin (2007). Encyclopedia of Popular Music (4th ed.). Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0195313734.
- "Dave Holland Discography". Jazz Disco. jazzdisco.org. Retrieved 23 May 2018.
- Eyles, John (2002). "Dave Holland What Goes Around Review". BBC. bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 5 May 2018.