What I Got
|"What I Got"|
|Single by Sublime|
|from the album Sublime|
|Released||August 27, 1996|
|Recorded||1996 at Pedernales Studio in Austin, Texas (U.S.) & Total Access Recording in Redondo Beach, California (U.S.)|
|Sublime singles chronology|
"What I Got" is a song from Sublime's eponymous third album titled Sublime and was the band's biggest radio hit, posthumously after singer Bradley Nowell's death in 1996 from a heroin overdose. It was the second single to be released by the band, following "Date Rape" (1991). The song was one of the most popular singles of 1997 in the US. At the time of its release, it reached the #1 spot on the Modern Rock Tracks chart. It was also a mainstream Top 40 hit, peaking at #29 on the Billboard Hot 100 Airplay.
What I Got: The Seven Song EP
- "What I Got" (Kahne radio edit) (2:47)
- "40 oz. to Freedom" (3:03)
- "D.J.s" (3:18)
- "All You Need" (2:46)
- "Same in the End" (2:39)
- "Work That We Do" (2:35)
- "Doin' Time" (Marshall arts remix) feat. the Pharcyde (4:12)
|Canadian RPM Alternative 30||2|
|UK Singles Chart||71|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100 Airplay||29|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks||11|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Modern Rock Tracks||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Top 40 Tracks||39|
The video for "What I Got", shot after Nowell's death, mainly contains a collage of archive videos and photos of Bradley, as a tribute to the singer. The video includes images of Long Beach, CA, where the band met their success, as well as live footage from a Sublime show at The Capitol Ballroom in Washington, DC.
In popular culture
The song is featured in Saints Row: The Third, during a mission in where the main character and Pierce sing along to the lyrics.
- Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, 7th Ed 2000, by Joel Whitburn. p. 611
- 100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time by Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2011-01-24.
- Sublime STP http://sublimestp.com/?page=pages/sublimewis#2
- Marah Eakin (2014-07-23). "Jonah Ray on his intense, burning hatred for Sublime's "What I Got"". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 2017-07-15.