What I Saw and How I Lied
Cover of 2010 edition
|Published||November, 2008 (Scholastic, Inc.)|
What I Saw and How I Lied is historical fiction set in the United States after World War II. Scholastic recommends it for age 13+. The audiobook edition, narrated by Caitlin Greer, appeared on the Young Adult Library Services Association Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults list in 2011.
WHAT I SAW AND HOW I LIED, a film noir mystery, unfolds in black and white coupled with the history and language of the 1940s. Set in 1947, this story is a puzzle of the mysteries surrounding and entwining all the characters and of Evie’s own self-discovery. As the mysteries are unveiled, Evie learns that not everything is as it seems, and maybe she doesn’t care to be the girl she thought she wanted to be after all. She questions, "Is adulthood so glamorous?" After finding out the true story of her love, Evie is left with a choice to choose between her parents and whom she really desires. She ends up picking her parents because they had her back the whole time.
What I Saw and How I Lied was well received by reviewers. Publishers Weekly gave it a starred review and called it "a stylish, addictive brew" for age 12 and older. The Alan Review claimed that "Evie is fascinatingly multifaceted as she approaches adulthood in ways she—and readers—never anticipated."
- "National Book Awards – 2008". National Book Foundation (NBF). Retrieved 2012-04-16.
(With acceptance speech by Blundell, introduction by Daniel Handler, and other material, partly replicated for all five Young People's Literature authors and books.)
- "2008 National Book Award Winner, Young People's Literature". NBF. Retrieved 2010-04-08. (Acceptance speech, reading, citation, biographical blurbs, etc.)
- Rich, Motoko (Nov 19, 2008). "Book Prizes Awarded With Nod to History". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "What I Saw and How I Lied: Description". The Scholastic Store. Scholastic. Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "What I Saw and How I Lied: Children's Review". Publishers Weekly.
- Beemer, Judy (Fall 2008). "What I Saw and How I Lied". The Alan Review. Retrieved 2009-07-02.[dead link]
- "December 2008 Stars". The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books. Archived from the original on June 27, 2010. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- Sample Chapter: http://www.judyblundell.com/WhatISaw/chapter.html
- Reviews: http://www.judyblundell.com/WhatISaw/reviews.html
- Judy Blundell’s homepage http://www.judyblundell.com
- National Book Award page: http://www.nationalbook.org/nba2008_ypl_blundell.html