What If (Kate Winslet song)
|Single by Kate Winslet|
|from the album Christmas Carol: The Movie soundtrack|
|Released||November 26, 2001|
"What If" is a song performed by English actress Kate Winslet, recorded for the animated film Christmas Carol: The Movie (2001). Winslet provided the voice of Belle in the feature, which is based on the Charles Dickens classic 1843 novel and also stars Nicolas Cage, Jane Horrocks and Simon Callow. "What If" was written by Wayne Hector and Steve Mac, while production was helmed by the latter. The song is a ballad that follows the film's theme, as Belle laments the end of her and Scrooge's relationship and wonders what could have been. It was the only song to be released from the official movie soundtrack.
News that Winslet was secretly recording the one-off single to vie for the 2001 UK Christmas number one spot was reported in the Daily Mirror. In the event, the song entered the UK Singles Chart at number six, and was beaten to the Christmas top spot by Robbie Williams and Nicole Kidman's version of "Somethin' Stupid". Elsewhere, "What If" was released to even bigger success: It became a number-one hit in Austria, Flanders, and Ireland, whilst also reaching the top ten in Germany, the Netherlands and Switzerland. Critically acclaimed, the song won the 2002 OGAE Song Contest.
An accompanying music video, which was directed by Paul Donnellon and produced by Chris Horton, shows Winslet walking around an old Victorian house, along with clips from the film. At Winslet's request, the proceeds from the single were given to the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children and Sargent Cancer Care for Children.
|Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)||Gold||20,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||200,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
In 2004, a dance remake of the song was released by Ronny V featuring Nanda. In 2008, the 2007 X-Factor finalist Rhydian Roberts included a duet of the song with American singer and Broadway actress Idina Menzel on his debut album Rhydian. Britain's Got Talent 2010 semi-finalist Olivia Archbold performed this song. She came in third place in the semi-finals and lost the judges' votes to Tobias Mead. Due to the performance; "What If" re-entered the UK Singles Charts at number 76 on 6 June 2010.
- "The winner takes it all". Ogae Song Contest. Retrieved 2009-05-03.
- "Austriancharts.at – Kate Winslet – What If" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 2012-12-22.
- "Ultratop.be – Kate Winslet – What If" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 2012-12-22.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Kate Winslet – What If". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved 2012-12-22.
- "Chart Track: Week 50, 2001". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 2012-12-22.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 2, 2002" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40 Retrieved 2018-05-26.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Kate Winslet – What If" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 2018-05-26.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2018-05-26.
- "Swisscharts.com – Kate Winslet – What If". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved 2012-12-22.
- "Kate Winslet: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2012-12-22.
- "Best of Singles". irma.ie. Retrieved 2017-12-10.
- "The Official UK Singles Chart 2001" (PDF). UKChartsPlus. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "Jahreshitparade Singles 2002". Austriancharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2015-10-22.
- "Jaaroverzichten 2002" (in Dutch). Ultratop. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "Top 100 Singles-Jahrescharts (2002)". Offiziellecharts.de. Retrieved 2015-11-22.
- "JAAROVERZICHTEN - Single 2002" (in Dutch). Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "Jahrescharts 2002". Swisscharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2015-10-10.
- "Ultratop − Goud en Platina – singles 2002". Ultratop. Hung Medien. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Kate Winslet; 'What If')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Kate Winslet; 'What If')". IFPI Switzerland. Hung Medien. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- "British single certifications – Kate Winslet – What If". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 3 November 2018. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type What If in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "Ronny V Featuring Nanda - What If (CD, Maxi) at Discogs". Retrieved 3 August 2009.
- Whetstone, David (29 November 2009). "Perfect pitch and the Cowell factor". journallive.co.uk. Retrieved 3 August 2009.