What They Had
|What They Had|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Elizabeth Chomko|
|Written by||Elizabeth Chomko|
|Music by||Danny Mulhern|
|Edited by||Tom McArdle|
|Distributed by||Bleecker Street|
When her Alzheimer's-suffering mother, Ruth, wanders into a blizzard on Christmas Eve, Bridget Ertz travels back to her hometown to help her brother convince their father to put Ruth in a nursing home and face the end of their life-long love affair.
- Hilary Swank as Bridget "Bitty" Ertz
- Michael Shannon as Nicholas "Nicky" Everhardt
- Robert Forster as Norbert Everhardt
- Blythe Danner as Ruth Everhardt (née O'Shea)
- Taissa Farmiga as Emma Ertz
- Josh Lucas as Eddie Ertz
- Sarah Sutherland as Mary
- Aimee Garcia as Dr. Zoe
- Jay Montepare as David
- Jennifer Robideau as Rachel
In 2014, Elizabeth Chomko was selected for the Sundance Institute's Screenwriters Lab with a script for the drama film What They Had. In September 2015, Chomko's script was announced as a winner for the Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting. In June 2016, Chomko revealed she would also direct the film from her screenplay. Albert Berger and Ron Yerxa were later reported to produce for Bona Fide Productions, along with Bill Holderman, and Andrew Duncan and Alex Saks producing for June Pictures, and Keith Kjarval producing for Unified Pictures.
On March 17, 2017, it was reported that Hilary Swank, Michael Shannon, Robert Forster, Blythe Danner, and Taissa Farmiga had been cast in the film. Sarah Sutherland's casting was confirmed in August 2017.
Principal photography began on March 22, 2017 in Chicago, Illinois. On March 28, members of the Amboy American Legion performed a graveside service for a scene in the film on location in Westchester, Illinois. Conboy Westchester Funeral Home also hosted the cast and crew for filming on March 28. Production was set up in Hyde Park, Chicago for more than two weeks, concluding on April 17. Filming wrapped in Los Angeles on May 2, 2017.
In May 2017, Bleecker Street acquired domestic distribution rights to the film. It had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 21, 2018. What They Had was initially scheduled for release on March 16, 2018, but was pushed back to October 19, 2018.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 88% based on 81 reviews, with a weighted average of 7.2/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "What They Had finds laughter and tears in its portrait of a family at a crossroads, with writer-director Elizabeth Chomko getting outstanding performances out of a talented cast." Metacritic assigned the film a weighted average score of 69 out of 100, based on 24 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "Premieres – What They Had". Sundance Film Festival. Sundance Institute. Retrieved December 13, 2017.
- "What They Had". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved November 29, 2018.
- Chuba, Kirsten (February 16, 2018). "Bleecker Street Announces Release Dates, Including 'Colette,' 'Papillon,' 'On Chesil Beach'". Variety. Retrieved February 16, 2018.
- Gupta, Shipra Harbola (December 16, 2014). "Sundance Institute Announces 2015 January Screenwriters Lab Participants". IndieWire. Retrieved March 21, 2017.
- Lincoln, Ross A. (September 29, 2015). "2015 Nicholl Fellowship Winning Screenwriters Selected". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 21, 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (December 17, 2017). "Hilary Swank, Michael Shannon to Star as Siblings in Drama 'What They Had'". Variety. Retrieved March 21, 2017.
- Kit, Borys (March 17, 2017). "Hilary Swank, Michael Shannon to Star in Drama 'What They Had' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 21, 2017.
- Silman, Anna (August 29, 2017). "Veep's Secret Weapon Sarah Sutherland is the most serious actor in comedy". TheCut.com. Retrieved December 1, 2017.
- Greenfield, Tonja (April 4, 2017). "Amboy Legion members film scene for upcoming movie". The Amboy News. Retrieved April 8, 2017.
- Barrows, Aimee (April 26, 2017). "Westchester funeral home hosts movie crew". My Suburban Life. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- Cholke, Sam (April 17, 2017). "Hilary Swank Movie Wraps Shooting Today In Hyde Park". DNA. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- "Danny Mulhern Scoring 'What They Had'". Film Music Reporter. December 15, 2017. Retrieved December 15, 2017.
- Hipes, Patrick (May 9, 2017). "Bleecker Street Lands Alzheimer's Drama 'What They Had' Starring Hilary Swank & Michael Shannon". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 9, 2017.
- Debruge, Peter (November 29, 2017). "Sundance Film Festival Unveils Full 2018 Features Lineup". Variety. Retrieved November 30, 2017.
- "Sundance Program Schedule" (PDF). Sundance Film Festival. Retrieved December 14, 2017.
- N'Duka, Amanda (October 26, 2017). "Bleecker Street Sets Release Dates For 'What They Had', 'Disobedience' & More". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 26, 2017.
- Hipes, Patrick (February 16, 2018). "Bleecker Street Dates Its Big Sundance Buy 'Colette', 'Papillon' & More". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 16, 2018.
- "What They Had (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved December 11, 2018.
- "What They Had Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved November 14, 2018.