What Would You Do? (2008 TV program)
|What Would You Do?|
|Created by||Chris Whipple|
|Presented by||John Quiñones|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||16|
|No. of episodes||137 (+10 specials) (list of episodes)|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production companies||ABC News Productions|
Lincoln Square Productions
|Distributor||Disney–ABC Domestic Television|
|Original release||February 26, 2008 –|
|Related shows||Would You Fall for That?|
What Would You Do? (commonly abbreviated as WWYD, and formerly known as Primetime: What Would You Do? through the program's fifth season), is an American situational hidden camera television program that has been broadcast on ABC since February 26, 2008. It is hosted by news correspondent John Quiñones and was created by Chris Whipple.
The program was conceived as a format-based series for ABC's newsmagazine Primetime, however, all on-air references to the parent program were removed from What Would You Do? following the discontinuation of Primetime as a standalone program by the network in 2010, with subject-based formats of the program, such as Primetime: Family Secrets, airing thereafter during the summer months or as a temporary replacement for entertainment programs canceled during the fall-to-spring television season.
The program features actors acting out scenes of conflict or illegal activity in public settings while hidden cameras record the scene, and the focus is on whether or not bystanders intervene, and how. Variations are also usually included, such as changing the genders, the races or the clothing of the actors performing the scene, to see if bystanders react differently. Many of the scenarios take place in dining locations. The situations often pertain to prejudice with race, sex, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical and mental disabilities, obesity and weight, sexual harassment, vandalism, theft, physical appearance, homelessness, financial trouble, parenting, and social status being common themes. Quiñones appears at the end of each scenario to interview bystanders and witnesses about their reactions.
As the experiment goes on, psychology professors, teachers, or club members watch and discuss the video with Quiñones, explaining and making inferences on the bystanders' reactions.
Many of the scenario actors appear in only one or two episodes. Several, however, have become staples of the program, including Yuval David, Diana Henry, Vince August, Jeremy Holm, Michael J. Lyons, and Traci Hovel.
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired||Average viewership|
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||4||February 26, 2008||March 25, 2008||7.77|
|2||9||January 6, 2009||March 24, 2009||6.47|
|3||4||May 7, 2010||May 21, 2010||4.59|
|4||25 (+1)||October 22, 2010||May 20, 2011||4.56|
|5||17||January 20, 2012||May 18, 2012||4.88|
|6||5||September 14, 2012||October 19, 2012||4.72|
|7||7||May 31, 2013||July 19, 2013||3.88|
|8||2 (+1)||December 3, 2013||December 17, 2013||2.95|
|9||10||May 23, 2014||August 8, 2014||4.23|
|10||11 (+1)||May 29, 2015||August 28, 2015||4.13|
|11||2 (+1)||January 26, 2016||February 9, 2016||2.33|
|12||6 (+2)||June 17, 2016||December 15, 2016||3.35|
|13||9 (+2)||June 23, 2017||September 22, 2017||3.25|
|14||12 (+1)||May 17, 2018||September 7, 2018||2.69|
|15||5||August 9, 2019||September 6, 2019||2.49|
|16||9 (+1)||July 7, 2020||September 8, 2020||2.28|
Reruns of older What Would You Do? episodes began airing on the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) on February 15, 2011, under the title What Would You Do?: OWN Edition. Reruns of the program began airing on HLN in 2012 as part of the cable news channel's primetime schedule. In the United States, the show has been broadcast on A&E since 2015.
- Daniel Weiss (February 15, 2008). "What Would You Do? - Columbia Journalism Review". Columbia Journalism Review. Archived from the original on September 26, 2020.
- Regina Avalos (July 2, 2020). "What Would You Do?: Season 16; ABC News Series Renewed, Returns in July (Updated)". TV Series Finale.
- Michael O'Connell (October 11, 2012). "HLN Acquires Cable Rights to ABC News' 'What Would You Do?'". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on September 5, 2020.
- For the fifth season, see "What Would You Do?: Ratings for the 2011-12 TV Season". TV Series Finale. May 23, 2012. Retrieved August 16, 2020.
- For the sixth season, see "Primetime: What Would You Do?: 2012-13 Season Ratings". TV Series Finale. October 22, 2012. Retrieved August 16, 2020.
- For the seventh season, see "What Would You Do?: Summer 2013 Ratings". TV Series Finale. July 23, 2013. Retrieved August 16, 2020.
- For the eighth season, see "What Would You Do?: 2013-14 Season Ratings". TV Series Finale. December 18, 2013. Retrieved August 16, 2020.
- For the ninth season, see "What Would You Do?: Summer 2014 Ratings". TV Series Finale. August 9, 2014. Retrieved July 17, 2020.
- For the tenth season, see "What Would You Do?: Summer 2015 Ratings". TV Series Finale. August 29, 2015. Retrieved July 31, 2020.
- For the eleventh season, see "What Would You Do?: Winter 2016 Ratings". TV Series Finale. February 10, 2016. Retrieved July 31, 2020.
- For the twelfth season, see "What Would You Do?: Summer 2016 Ratings". TV Series Finale. September 3, 2016. Retrieved July 31, 2020.
- For the thirteenth season, see "What Would You Do?: Summer 2017 Ratings". TV Series Finale. September 25, 2017. Retrieved July 17, 2020.
- For the fourteenth season, see "What Would You Do?: Summer 2018 Ratings". TV Series Finale. April 11, 2019. Retrieved July 17, 2020.
- For the fifteenth season, see "What Would You Do?: Summer 2019 Ratings". TV Series Finale. July 1, 2020. Retrieved July 17, 2020.
- For the sixteenth season, see "What Would You Do?: Season 16 Ratings". TV Series Finale. July 29, 2020. Retrieved July 29, 2020.