What You Get Is What You See
|"What You Get Is What You See"|
|Single by Tina Turner|
|from the album Break Every Rule|
|Released||March 23, 1987|
|Tina Turner singles chronology|
"What You Get Is What You See" is a song by recording artist Tina Turner from her album Break Every Rule (1986). The song was written by the Terry Britten and Graham Lyle team and was notably different from the three previous singles that they had written for Turner, "What's Love Got to Do with It", "We Don't Need Another Hero" and "Two People", as it was an up-tempo country-tinged rock track featuring Eric Clapton on guitars. Tina Turner said in an interview that "What You Get Is What You See" is her favorite song from the album.
The 12" single included three versions of the song, the Extended Dance Mix, the Extended Rock Mix and a live version recorded in London in November 1986. A different live recording of the song was later used as the opening track on Turner's 1988 album Tina Live in Europe. She also included it in her 2009 live album Tina Live. It was recorded during Turner's hugely successful 50th Anniversary Tour. The track is from the March 21, 2009 live show at the GelreDome in Arnhem, Netherlands.
Versions and remixes
- 7" edit – 3:48
- Album version – 4:31
- Extended Dance Mix – 6:28
- Extended Rock Mix – 5:56
In popular culture
"What You Get Is What You See" was popular in Australia, where in 1989 it was used in a campaign for the New South Wales Rugby League. They later used the Tina Turner song "The Best" in another campaign.
The song has been covered many times including by Canadian country music group Straight Clean & Simple and a single for the band taken from their 1992 album Iron Lady. It was also covered by Scottish / Irish country artist Lisa McHugh. Her cover appears in her 2014 album A Life That's Good.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||15|
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||23|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||38|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||23|
|Europe (European Hot 100 Singles)||18|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||17|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||41|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||30|
|US Billboard Hot 100||13|
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||92|
- "Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get", 1971 album and single by The Dramatics
- WYGIWYS, a variant of WYSIWYG (See WYSIWYG#Related acronyms)
- "Gelredome Tina Turner Tina Live DVD/CD 2 Disc Set". International Tina Turner Fan Club. Retrieved 2009-08-27.
- David Kent (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970-1992. Australia: St Ives, N.S.W. : Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Austriancharts.at – Tina Turner – What You Get Is What You See" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved January 3, 2014.
- "Ultratop.be – Tina Turner – What You Get Is What You See" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved January 3, 2014.
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 0799." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved September 23, 2015.
- "Hits of the World" (PDF). Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. April 11, 1987. Retrieved September 23, 2015.
- "Tina Turner - Top Titel" (in German). GfK Entertainment. Retrieved September 23, 2015.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – What You Get It What You See". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved September 23, 2015.
- "Charts.org.nz – Tina Turner – What You Get Is What You See". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved January 3, 2014.
- "Tina Turner: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company. Retrieved September 23, 2015.
- "Tina Turner – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Tina Turner. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Scott, Gavin. "25 Years Ago This Week: May 14, 1989". blogspot.com.au. Retrieved October 25, 2015.