What You Need (song)
|"What You Need"|
Cover art for US editions and Australian 12-inch vinyl maxi-single
|Single by INXS|
|from the album Listen Like Thieves|
|Released||26 August 1985 (AUS)|
|Genre||New wave, dance-rock|
|Songwriter(s)||Andrew Farriss and Michael Hutchence|
|INXS singles chronology|
"What You Need" is a song recorded by the Australian band INXS. It is the leadoff track from their 1985 album, Listen Like Thieves. "What You Need" was the first single off the album in Australia and New Zealand, while it was in USA and Europe the second single after "This Time" and was the band's first American Top Ten hit, peaking at #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart.
After the album Listen Like Thieves was recorded and ready to be given to the record label for inspection, producer Chris Thomas was worried that the album didn't have a "hit". As Andrew Farriss recalled in a 2005 interview; "'What You Need' is another example of a huge hit that essentially took no time at all. We'd already finished the Listen Like Thieves album but Chris Thomas (the producer) told us there was still no "hit". We left the studio that night knowing we had one day left and we had to deliver "a hit". Talk about pressure. The band's performance on that track is amazing. We absolutely nailed it."
The music video for the song was created using an animation technique known as rotoscope. At the Countdown Music and Video Awards for 1985, the award for Best Video for "What You Need" by INXS was shared by Richard Lowenstein and Lynn-Maree Milburn.
UK 7" INXS 12
- "What You Need" – 3:35
- "Sweet as Sin" – 2:20
UK 12" single INXS 512
- "What You Need" (Remix) – 5:35 (Remix: Nick Launay)
- "Sweet as Sin" – 2:21
- "What You Need" (Live) – 3:56
- "The One Thing" (Live) – 3:31
Notable appearances in other media
- This song played in an episode of the American crime drama series Miami Vice on 2 May 1986.
- This song played in an episode of the British soap opera series Coronation Street in May 1986.
- This song played in the HBO original movie Hysterical Blindness in 2002.
- This song played in the American crime drama movie Monster in 2003.
- This song played in the American sci-fi comedy movie Hot Tub Time Machine in 2010.
- This song played in the American romantic comedy-drama Take Me Home Tonight in 2011.
- "Kent Music Report No 581 – 26 August 1985 > Singles: New Releases". Imgur.com (original document published by Kent Music Report). Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Official Michael Hutchence Memorial Website | Interview with Andrew Farriss". Michaelhutchence.org. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "FIFA 2005 Soundtrack Announced - Xbox". News.teamxbox.com. 2004-08-10. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "Countdown Show No.: 396 Date: 20/4/1986". Countdown Archives. Retrieved 2008-12-04.
- "Countdown 20th April 1986". Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC). 27 January 2007. Retrieved 2008-12-12.
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 0667." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 9 September 2018.
- "charts.org.nz > INXS – What You Need (song)". Hung Medien. Retrieved 2018-09-09.
- "CASH BOX Top 100 Singles – Week ending April 12, 1986". Archived from the original on 2 October 2012. Retrieved 2018-09-09. . Cash Box magazine.
- "Forum – ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts – 1985". Australian-charts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
- Billboard Top 100 - 1986. "Billboard Top 100 - 1986 - Longbored Surfer - Charts". Longbored Surfer. Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- "The CASH BOX Year-End Charts: 1986". Archived from the original on 2 October 2012. Retrieved 2018-09-09. . Cash Box magazine.