What does not kill me makes me stronger
What does not kill me makes me stronger (German Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker) is part of aphorism number 8 from the "Maxims and Arrows" section of Friedrich Nietzsche's Twilight of the Idols (1888). In full, it is:
Aus der Kriegsschule des Lebens. — Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
Out of life’s school of war — What does not kill me makes me stronger.
It is quoted or alluded to by many other works, with minor variants in wording:
- If It Don't Kill You, It Just Makes You Stronger, 1989 album by Bruce Willis
- What Doesn't Kill You... (Candiria album), 2004
- Ono što te ne ubije, to te osakati 'The thing that does not kill you, makes you stultified', 2004 album by Goribor
- What Doesn't Kill You... (Blue Cheer album), 2007
- What Doesn't Kill Us, 2008 album by What Made Milwaukee Famous
- What Doesn't Kill Me... (Ektomorf album), 2009
- What Doesn't Kill Me... (Young Sid album), 2010 album by Young Sid
- What Doesn't Kill You, Eventually Kills You, a 2011 album by Gay for Johnny Depp
- "O,ti De Skotonei" ("Ό,τι δε σε σκοτώνει"), 1991 song by Nikos Portokaloglou on the album Siko Psychi mou, Siko Chorepse
- "Stronger", 2007 song by Kanye West starting "...that that don't kill me / can only make me stronger"
- "What Doesn't Kill You", 2009 song by Takida on the album ...Make You Breathe
- "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)", 2011 song by Kelly Clarkson, originally titled "What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)")
- "What Doesn't Kill You"', 2013 song by Jake Bugg
- "Doesn't Kill You", 2016 song by The Anchoress on the album Confessions of a Romance Novelist
- "You Ain't Ready", 2019 song by Skillet from the album Victorious