Whatever Happened to Benny Santini?
|Whatever Happened to Benny Santini?|
|Studio album by Chris Rea|
|Label||United Artists (U.S.)/
Magnet (rest of world)
|Chris Rea chronology|
The first single lifted from the album, "Fool (If You Think It's Over)", is arguably Rea's best known song, and remains his biggest hit in the United States, peaking at number twelve on the Billboard Hot 100 and reaching number one on the Adult Contemporary Singles chart. Unlike many of Rea's other singles, "Fool..." was not a great success on the UK Singles Chart, failing to chart on its first release and only reaching number thirty when re-released later in 1978 to capitalise on its U.S. success. This success was also helped by being played extensively by Radio Caroline, as it was dedicated to the British Home Office, who were trying to put the station off the air.
The title of the album is a reference to a name Rea's UK record label (Magnet) had considered christening him with to make him sound more attractive commercially.
Whatever Happened to Benny Santini? was produced by Gus Dudgeon, who is perhaps most famous for producing most of Elton John's album output in the 1970s. Rea was reportedly dissatisfied with the final mix of the album; he later went some way to rectify this to his satisfaction starting with 1988's greatest hits compilation New Light Through Old Windows, where "Fool..." was presented in a newly recorded version. Dudgeon went on to produce Rea's next effort, Deltics.
All songs by Chris Rea.
- "Whatever Happened to Benny Santini?" – 4:22
- "The Closer You Get" – 3:31
- "Because of You..." – 3:57
- "Dancing with Charlie" – 3:52
- "Bows and Bangles" – 3:58
- "Fool (If You Think It's Over)" – 4:47
- "Three Angels" – 3:26
- "Just One of Those Days" – 2:40
- "Standing in Your Doorway" – 3:53
- "Fires of Spring" – 3:54
- Chris Rea - vocals, guitar, keyboards, synthesizer
- Robert Ahwai - guitar
- Eddie Guy - guitar
- Paul Keogh - guitar
- Phil Curtis - bass
- Pat Donaldson - bass
- Dave Markee - bass
- Eoghan O'Neill - bass
- Rod Argent - keyboards, electric piano
- Kevin Leach - keyboards
- Max Middleton - keyboards
- Pete Wingfield - keyboards, piano
- Steve Gregory - saxophone
- Dave Mattacks - drums
- Norman Nosebait - drums
- Adrian Rea - drums
- Martin Ditcham - percussion
- Gus Dudgeon - percussion, tambourine, producer
- Frank Ricotti - percussion, conga, tabla
- George Woodhead - percussion
- Doreen Chanter - backing vocals
- Irene Chanter - backing vocals
- Stuart Epps - backing vocals
- "Fool (If You Think It's Over)" b/w "Midnight Love"
- "Whatever Happened to Benny Santini?" b/w "Three Angels"