Whatever U Like
|"Whatever U Like"|
|Single by Nicole Scherzinger featuring T.I.|
|Released||July 30, 2007|
|Nicole Scherzinger singles chronology|
"Whatever U Like" is a song by American recording artist Nicole Scherzinger, featuring rapper T.I.. The duo, along with Sean Garrett and Polow da Don, composed the song for Scherzinger's planned debut studio album Her Name Is Nicole. Interscope Records released "Whatever U Like" as Scherzinger's solo debut single on July 30, 2007.
Background and composition
In May 2003, Scherzinger joined The Pussycat Dolls, a burlesque troupe, as a lead singer, when they were re-cast as recording artists. With the success of the group's debut album, it brought Scherzinger into the media spotlight, which resulted in a series of duets and guest vocals with many male vocalists. In 2006, Scherzinger later collaborated with Diddy on "Come to Me" which became Scherzinger's first solo top-ten hit on Billboard Hot 100. Following the hiatus of the group, Scherzinger began working on a solo album. The song made its premiere on Scherzinger's official website on July 10, 2007.
"Whatever U Like" is an up-tempo R&B song with a length of three minutes and fifty-two seconds. The artists co-wrote the song with its producers Polow da Don and Sean Garrett. The song's beat was compared to Kelis' "Blindfold Me" (2006) and Chilli's "Straight Jack" which were both produced by Polow da Don. Rosie Swash of The Guardian compared the "rave-horn, synth-heavy production" to the works of Timbaland. Lyrically, Scherzinger sings about doing whatever her man likes: “riding it like a Harley.” Garrett appears throughout the chorus singing: "she's hot as a stove, her name is Nicole!" while T.I. appears towards the middle of the track.
Rap-Up was one of the first media outlets to hear seven full tracks from Her Name is Nicole which included "Whatever U Like". A reviewer described the song as a "club banger," while commented, "It’s a perfect lead single and a good song to release in the summer." DJ Z from DJ Booth criticized the song for using the same beat and composition as Chilli's song "Straight Jack" writing: "Never a brilliant move to use a duplicate beat while dealing with a minor identity crisis, but if you’re Nicole Scherzinger, I guess it's OK?" Sal Cinquemani from Slant Magazine referred to the song while reviewing The Pussycat Dolls' second studio album Doll Domination (2008). He agreed with DJ Z writing it was a, "blatant rip-off of Kelis's 'Blindfold Me.'"; however he did write the song "was unjustly ignored."
In the United States, "Whatever U Like" failed to make a chart appearance on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, but it peaked at number 4 on the US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles, a component chart which represents the 25 songs which failed to make an impact on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It additionally stalled at number 73 on the US Digital Songs and number 83 on the US Pop Songs. In Canada, the song fared better, managing to peak at number 57 on the Canadian Hot 100.
The official music video was directed by Paul Hunter who previously directed the Pussycat Dolls' debut single "Don't Cha" (2005). Filming concluded on July 27, 2007 in San Pedro, California. On August 11, a short clip was leaked online. On August 20, Scherzinger appeared on TRL to premiere the music video.
The video begins with spotlights hitting a wall, with Scherzinger running from an unidentified person, revealed to be four masked kidnappers. Sean Garrett performs his opening sequence as Scherzinger is captured and concealed within a box, where she performs the first verse and chorus, before escaping the box. Scenes of Scherzinger floating through water are interspersed with her dancing before a spotlighted stage, and performing in front of a black background. Throughout the next chorus, Scherzinger is shown walking along a bench covered in steaming stones. During T.I.'s rap, the two are concealed in the box, with Scherzinger seductively crawling all over him. Next Scherzinger is shown covered in mud before standing beneath a shower washing it off. Different shots of the singer from the previous scenes are spliced together throughout the next chorus. Scherzinger is now shown in a black leather outfit during Sean Garrett's verse dancing before a backdrop, with spotlights shining on her, spliced with scenes of the producer rapping, her former assailants now dance in front of her. The video ends with Scherzinger leaving the backdrop.
Scherzinger performed the song for the first time on the finale of the third season of the U.S. television show So You Think You Can Dance on August 17, 2007. On September 9, 2007 Scherzinger performed the song along with Lil Wayne, who was filling for T.I. at the preshow of the 2007 MTV Video Music Awards. Scherzinger was wearing a "red cocktail dress, black boots and leather gloves." Gil Kaufman commented, "Before Brown had them pounding the stage in excitement or Britney had them scratching their heads in confusion, Pussycat Dolls lead kitten Nicole Scherzinger got the party started early during the preshow with a sizzling hookup with Lil Wayne." He continued, "They made an interesting team on a night that was full of many different varieties of hookups." Kelefa Sanneh of The New York Times agreed with Kaufman describing the performance as "one of the best musical moments came before the show started." On September 27, Scherzinger performed on Yahoo!'s Pepsi Smash.
- Digital download
- "Whatever U Like" (featuring T.I.) – 3:53
Credits and personnel
Credits adapted from the liner notes of "Baby Love".
- Polow da Don – songwriter, producer
- Sean "The Pen" Garrett – songwriter, co-producer
- Nicole Scherzinger – vocals, songwriter
- Clifford "T.I." Harris – vocals, songwriter
- Jeff Haddad – management
|Australia (ARIA Digital Track Chart)||32|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||57|
|Czech Republic (IFPI)||50|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||4|
|US Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles (Billboard)||13|
|US Digital Songs (Billboard)||73|
|Australia||July 30, 2007||Digital download||Universal Music||
|United States||August 28, 2007||Interscope Records||
|Germany||August 31, 2007||Universal Music||
- Kraines, Talia (2005-06-01). "Music – Review of the Pussycat Dolls – PCD". BBC. BBC Online. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- "Shaggy – Clothes Drop CD Album". Cduniverse.com. Retrieved 2013-06-02.
- "Nicole Scherzinger Album & Song Chart History – Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved November 11, 2012.
- "Nicole Scherzinger Sets Release Date For 'Her Name Is Nicole' Solo Debut". popdirt.com. August 3, 2007. Retrieved September 21, 2009.
- "Nicole Scherzinger chooses Christina Milian". Musiqueradio.com. June 3, 2009. Retrieved June 30, 2010.
- "Nicole Scherzinger : News : "Whatever U Like" feat. T.I". Nicolescherzingermusic.com. 2007-10-07. Retrieved 2011-08-16.
- "Whatever U Like [Digital Single] – Nicole Scherzinger". AllMusic. 2007-08-28. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- "Whatever U Like (Nicole Scherzinger) BMI Work #9090800". BMI Repertoire (Broadcast Music Incorporated). Retrieved 2011-08-16.
- "Nicole Scherzinger Album Preview". Rap-Up. July 2, 2007. Retrieved June 8, 2016.
- "Marching with the Pussycat Dolls". The Guardian. August 7, 2007. Retrieved March 9, 2015.
- DJ Z. "Nicole Scherzinger – Whatever U Like ft. T.I.". DJ Booth. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- Cinquemani, Sal (September 22, 2008). "Pussycat Dolls: Doll Domination". Music Review. Slant Magazine. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- "Bubbling Under Hot 100 – Issue Date: 2008-09-27". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved October 30, 2012.
- Cohen, Jonathan. "Billboard Bits: Nicole Scherzinger, Polvo, MySpace". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved November 15, 2012.
- "Nicole Scherzinger – Whatever U Like". aCharts. Retrieved 2011-06-20.
- MTV News Staff (April 6, 2005). "For The Record: Quick News On Gwen Stefani, Pharrell Williams, Ciara, 'Dimebag' Darrell, Nirvana, Shins & More". MTV News. Viacom. Retrieved September 1, 2014.
- "Nicole Scherzinger Shoots First Video". Rap-Up. July 27, 2007. Retrieved September 1, 2014.
- "Sneak Peek: Nicole Scherzinger – 'Whatever U Like'". Rap-Up. August 11, 2007. Retrieved September 1, 2014.
- "Nicole Scherzinger Visits 'TRL'". Rap-Up. August 20, 2007. Retrieved September 1, 2014.
- "Nicole Scherzinger : News : Watch Nicole Scherzinger perform on So You Think You Can Dance FINALE TONIGHT!". Nicolescherzingermusic.com. 2007-08-17. Retrieved 2011-08-16.
- Kaufman, Gil (September 10, 2007). "Britney Spears Kicks Off Show, But VMA Night Belongs To Rihanna And Justin Timberlake". MTV News. MTV Networks. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- Sanneh, Kalefa (September 10, 2007). "For MTV, the Best May Have Been Off-Camera". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved November 15, 2012.
- "Video: Nicole Scherzinger on Pepsi Smash". Rap-Up. August 27, 2007. Retrieved September 1, 2014.
- "Whatever U Like (feat. T.I.) – Single de Nicole Scherzinger – Télécharger Whatever U Like (feat. T.I.) – Single sur iTunes". iTunes. 2007-07-30. Retrieved 2011-05-21.
- "Baby Love (Media notes). Nicole Scherzinger. Interscope Records.
- "The ARIA Report: Issue 914 – Week Commencing 10 September 2007" (PDF). Australian Recording Industry Association. p. 9. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- "Nicole Scherzinger – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Nicole Scherzinger. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- "Nicole Scherzinger – Whatever U Like – Top 100 Charts". IFPI. Retrieved 2013-05-17.
- "Nicole Scherzinger – Chart history" Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 for Nicole Scherzinger. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- "Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Songs – Issue Date: 2007-08-25". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved October 30, 2012.
- "Music – Whatever U Like (feat. T.I.) – Single by Nicole Scherzinger". iTunes Store (United States). Apple Inc. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- "Whatever U Like [Explicit]: Nicole Scherzinger: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- "Whatever U Like (Explicit Version) [feat. T.I.] [Explicit]: Nicole Scherzinger: MP3-Downloads" (in German). Amazon.de. Retrieved October 8, 2014.