Wheatstone LNG is a liquefied natural gas plant under construction in the Ashburton North Strategic Industrial Area, which is located 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) west of Onslow, Western Australia. The project is being developed and will be operated by Chevron Australia Pty. Ltd.
The Wheatstone gas field was discovered in the Greater Gorgon Area in 2004. The final investment decision was made in September 2011, and construction began in December 2011.
The project is expected to cost A$29 billion (US$29.7 billion). The LNG liquefaction and export plant will have an annual capacity of 15 million tonnes of LNG. In the first stage, the plant will have a gas plant, and two LNG trains with a capacity of 4.3 million tonnes per year each. It will be supplied from the Wheatstone, Iago, Julimar and Brunello offshore gas fields.
Front-end engineering and design works of the project are being performed by three companies. Bechtel Oil & Gas Chemicals Inc. is undertaking the design of the onshore gas plant. Intecsea Pty. Ltd., a subsidiary of The WorleyParsons Group, is designing the subsea infrastructure and trunkline. And Technip Pty. Ltd. is designing the offshore processing platform. Geotechnical consultation for the design and construction of the LNG plant and associated infrastructure will be provided by Golder Associates. Liquefied natural gas storage and condensate tanks to be built by a joint venture between Thiess and EV LNG Australia, a subsidiary of ENTREPOSE Contracting (itself a subsidiary of VINCI) and VINCI Construction Grands Projets.
Chevron Australia Pty. Ltd. owns 72 percent of the project. Royal Dutch Shell owns 6.4 percent of the project; Woodside owns 13 percent, KUFPEC Australia (Julimar) Pty. Ltd., a subsidiary of the Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Exploration Co., owns 7 percent; and Kyushu Electric Power Co. owns 1.6 percent of the project.
3.1 million tonnes of LNG per year will be exported to Tokyo Electric. Korea Gas Corp. (KOGAS) will buy 1.5 million tonnes per year. Tohoku Electric and Chubu Electric will each buy 1 million tons per year. 300,000 tonnes per year will be exported to Kyushu Electric.
- Lewis, Josh (2012-05-13). "Chevron to sell Wheatstone gas to Tohoku". Upstream Online. NHST Media Group. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- "A liquid market". The Economist. 2012-07-14.
- "Chevron triples Wheatstone on Iago find". Upstream Online. NHST Media Group. 2008-07-11. Retrieved 2008-08-22.
- "Chevron Australia awards Wheatstone LNG, gas plant FEED". Oil & Gas Journal. PennWell Corporation. 2009-07-31. Retrieved 2009-07-31.
- Evans, Damon (2009-12-07). "Tepco signs up for Wheatstone LNG". Upstream Online. NHST Media Group. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- Tan Hwee Hwee (2009-12-14). "Technip works on Wheatstone FEED". Upstream Online. NHST Media Group. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- Evans, Damon (2009-12-03). "Chevron hands out Wheatstone prizes". Upstream Online. NHST Media Group. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- Evans, Damon (2010-01-18). "Golder lands Wheatstone LNG gig". Upstream Online. NHST Media Group. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- Lewis, Josh (2012-02-24). "Joint venture wins Wheatstone contract". Upstream Online. NHST Media Group. (subscription required). Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- Begum, Aleya (2010-06-24). "Wood Group bags Wheatstone gig". Upstream Online. NHST Media Group. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- Hobbs, Andrew (2012-04-11). "Clough Amec wins Wheatstone work". Upstream Online. NHST Media Group. (subscription required). Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- Sharples, Ben; Paton, James (2012-05-13). "Chevron Sells 80 Percent of Wheatstone Gas After Deal With Tohoku". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- Burrell, Andrew (2011-04-11). "Shell spends billions to buy into Chevron gas project". The Australian. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- Troy, Phaedra Friend (2011-07-27). "Chevron inks Wheatstone LNG sales agreement with Tokyo Electric Power". Oil & Gas Journal. PennWell Corp. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- Ordonez, Isabel (2010-07-20). "Korea Gas signs up for Wheatstone LNG". The Australian. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- Davis, Jonathan (2010-01-26). "Chevron plugs in Kyushu Electric". Upstream Online. NHST Media Group. Retrieved 2010-07-02.