|Author||Frederic M. Wheelock|
|Country||United States of America|
|Publisher||Barnes & Noble (Originally), Harper Collins|
|Media type||Print (Paperback, Hardcover)|
|ISBN||ISBN 0-06-078423-7 (6th Edition, Hardcover)
0060783710 (6th Edition, Paperback)
|LC Class||PA2087.5 .W44 2005|
|Followed by||Wheelock's Latin Reader|
Wheelock's Latin (titled simply Latin: An Introductory Course for College Students until the fifth edition in 1995), is a comprehensive beginning Latin textbook. Chapters introduce related grammatical topics and assume little or no prior knowledge of Latin grammar or language. Each chapter has a collection of translation exercises created specifically for the book or taken directly from ancient sources. Those coming from Roman authors and historians (called Sententiae Antiquae—lit., "old sentences" or "ancient thoughts") may be either direct quotations or may be paraphrased from the original document. Interspersed in the text are introductions to Ancient Roman culture. At the end of each chapter is a section called "Latina Est Gaudium — Et Utilis!", which literally means "Latin Is Fun — And Useful!" This section gives the student phrases which can be used to make a conversation (such as "Quid Agis Hodie?", which means "How are you today?"), and notes about how some English words relate to Latin. It is currently in its 7th edition.
The most recent edition includes a forward, preface, thoughts on the revised edition, and maps. It also provides help with pronunciations, information about the authors, and information about different Latin authors.
- Wheelock F. M. - Latin. An introductory course based on ancient authors. New York : Barnes & Noble, 1956. XXXIII & 301 p.
- Wheelock F. M. - Latin. An introductory course based on ancient authors. 2nd ed. New York : Barnes & Noble, 1960. XXXIII & 377 p.
- Wheelock F. M. - Latin. An introductory course based on ancient authors. 3rd ed. New York : Barnes & Noble, 1963. XXXIII & 457 p.
- Wheelock F. M. - Wheelock's Latin Grammar. 4th ed., revised. New York : Harper Collins, 1992. XXVI & 418 p.
- Wheelock F. M. and R. LaFleur. Wheelock's Latin 7th Edition (The Wheelock's Latin Series). 7th ed., revised. New York: Harper Collins, 2011. 608 p. ISBN 978-0061997228.
- Wheelock, Frederic; Richard LaFleur (2005). Wheelock's Latin. New York, NY: HarperCollins. pp. xxi. ISBN 0-06-078371-0.
- "Reviews of Wheelock's Latin". Wheelock's Latin. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- Wheelock, Frederick M.; LaFleur, Richard A. (2011). Wheelock's Latin (Seventh ed.). HarperCollins. pp. Contents. ISBN 978-0-06-199722-8.