When Brendan Met Trudy
|When Brendan Met Trudy|
|Directed by||Kieron J. Walsh|
|Produced by||Lynda Myles|
|Written by||Roddy Doyle|
|Music by||Richard Hartley|
|Edited by||Scott Thomas|
Deadly Films 2
|2001 in film|
When Brendan Met Trudy is a 2001 film directed by first time director Kieron J. Walsh and written by Roddy Doyle. The story is about a Dublin schoolteacher who falls in love with a mysterious young woman who turns out to be a thief.
Brendan (Peter McDonald) is a shy, reserved teacher who takes his profession seriously. Away from the classroom, he has a love of films and classical music. One night, after practising with his church choir, he meets Trudy (Flora Montgomery), a bright, witty and free-spirited woman whom he believes is a Montessori teacher. Despite the differences in their personalities, the two begin a relationship. Brendan is unaware that his new girlfriend is actually a burglar, and is shocked when Trudy asks him to prove his love by helping her on one of her 'jobs'. Brendan is torn between his feelings for Trudy, and the desire to do what is right. Throughout his relationship with her, Brendan slowly begins to discover himself, and realises that there is more to life than music and movies.
- Peter McDonald as Brendan
- Flora Montgomery as Trudy
- Maynard Eziashi as Edgar
- Marie Mullen as Mother
- Pauline McLynn as Nuala
- Don Wycherley as Niall
- Eileen Walsh as Siobhán
- Barry Cassin as Headmaster
- Robert O'Neill as Dylan
The film received mixed reviews. Review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a score of 61% based on reviews from 62 critics. The site's consensus was "The references to other films are rather overdone, and the direction is uneven". Metacritic gives the film a score of 53% based on reviews from 25 critics. 
Reviewing for the BBC, George Perry gives the film 3/5 stars.
Peter Bradshaw describes the film as "ordinary piece of work from Roddy Doyle" a standard rom-com, witheringly calling it "dull enough to qualify as an honorary British film". 
- "Irish Film Board/Bord Scannán na hÉireann - About Irish Film / News / 2001 - A record year for Irish Film Distribution...". irishfilmboard.ie.
- "When Brendan Met Trudy (Stolen Nights) (2000)". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster.
- "When Brendan Met Trudy". Metacritic. CBS Interactive.
- George Perry (14 May 2001). "When Brendan Met Trudy (2001)". BBC.
- Peter Bradshaw (25 May 2001). "When Brendan Met Trudy". The Guardian.
- Roger Ebert (March 9, 2001). "When Brendan Met Trudy". Chicago Sun Times.
|This article related to an Irish film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This film article about a 2000s comedy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|