When God Was a Rabbit
When God Was a Rabbit is a book by Sarah Winman that was first published in 2011. It won Winman various awards including New Writer of the Year in the Galaxy National Book Awards and was one of the books chosen by Richard & Judy in their 2011 Summer Book Club.
When God Was a Rabbit follows the life of a young girl – Eleanor Maud (Elly for short) – as she grows up first in Essex, then Cornwall, then New York and the various characters she meets and befriends along the way. The book is named after God, a pet rabbit given to Elly by her brother who is a constant companion during her childhood. Overall it is a love story surrounding the central characters, Elly, her brother and their extended circle of family and friends.
- New Writer of the Year in the Galaxy National Book Awards (United Kingdom), 2011
- Newton First Book Award in the Edinburgh International Book Festival (United Kingdom), 2011
- Waterstones 11 (United Kingdom), 2011
- The Exclusive Books Boeke Prize (South Africa), 2011
- Claudia FitzHerbert: Triumph and disaster, The Spectator, 19 March 2011
- Anthony Cummins: Fiction in Brief, The Telegraph, 28 March 2011
- Richard Madeley and Judy Finnigan: Review: When God Was a Rabbit, Summer 2011
- David Hebblethwaite: Book Review Sarah Winman, The Huffington Post, 14 December 2011
- "2011 Galaxy National Book Awards - The Winners". galaxynationalbookawards.com. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- "Current Reads (Summer 2011)". richardandjudy.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- "Newton First Book Award". edbookfest.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- "Sarah Winman wins Newton First Book Award". edbookfest.co.uk. Edinburgh International Book Festival. 19 October 2011. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Singh, Anita (2012-01-20). "Waterstones 11: the literary ones to watch". telegraph.co.uk (The Telegraph). Retrieved 2012-01-29.
|This article about a 2010s novel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|