When I Get Home
|"When I Get Home"|
|Song by the Beatles from the album A Hard Day's Night|
|Released||10 July 1964|
|Recorded||2 June 1964
Abbey Road Studios
|Genre||Rock and roll|
"When I Get Home" is a John Lennon composition (credited to Lennon–McCartney) recorded by the Beatles on 2 June 1964, during the last session for their LP A Hard Day's Night. Its first US release was on the Something New LP.
Influenced somewhat by the Shirelles, "When I Get Home" is essentially a rock and roll number, but with its unusual chord progressions (changing from major to minor keys and back) it bucks the genre to some extent. Lennon liked this particular ploy, and used it on many of his songs at the time.
Typical also of this period of the Beatles is the vocal leap into falsetto.
After completing "When I Get Home" in 11 takes, the Beatles finished recording another Lennon song, "Any Time At All", which they had started work on earlier that day. They also recorded Paul McCartney's "Things We Said Today" during the same session.
A mono mix was made on 4 June 1964, although this was replaced when new mono and stereo mixes were made on 22 June.
The band Yellow Matter Custard covered the song for their CD/DVD release One Night In New York City.
There have also been commercially released covers by Les Kelton (in French as Oui Je Reviens), The Beatalls (sic), The Bob Hammer Band, Heiko Effertz, Johnny Simon Band, Octavio Cavalli & Max Gonzalez, Ross Rice, The Rustix, The S'Moores, Tony Visconti & Alejandro Escovedo and The Two Of Us.
- John Lennon – lead vocal, rhythm guitar
- Paul McCartney – harmony vocal, bass
- George Harrison – harmony vocal, lead guitar
- Ringo Starr – drums
- Harry, Bill (2000). The Beatles Encyclopedia: Revised and Updated. London: Virgin Publishing. ISBN 0-7535-0481-2.
- Lewisohn, Mark (1988). The Beatles Recording Sessions. New York: Harmony Books. ISBN 0-517-57066-1.
- MacDonald, Ian (2005). Revolution in the Head: The Beatles' Records and the Sixties (Second Revised ed.). London: Pimlico (Rand). ISBN 1-84413-828-3.