When I Kissed the Teacher
|"When I Kissed the Teacher"|
|Song by ABBA|
|from the album Arrival|
|Released||October 11, 1976|
|Recorded||June 14, 1976|
|Songwriter(s)||Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson|
|Producer(s)||Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson|
|Arrival track listing|
The song's recording session's began on June 14, 1976, with the name "Rio de Janeiro". Eventually, the track was renamed "When I Kissed the Teacher". The song's light-hearted lyrics tell the story of a student who has a crush on her teacher, one day cannot restrain herself and kisses him. The lyrics are set to spirited music. Benny Andersson considered this one of his favorite ABBA songs.
The video clip "goes from a female student longing for her teacher to her taking direct action by kissing him as he leans over her in class." The actor playing the part of the teacher was Magnus Härenstam.
Buffalo News describes it as "bouncy". The Telegraph lists the song as one of ABBA's hidden gems, offering it as an alternative to "Waterloo". It says the song "Starts off slow, but quickly turns into a surreal, pop homage to low level sexual harassment". Robert Hilburn of the Malaysian Star said "My nomination for the best ABBA track that wasn't a hit in the U.S.: "When I Kissed the Teacher," a zestful number that recalls the teen passion of such Phil Spector productions as the Ronettes' 'Be My Baby'". In a Voulez-Vous review, "When I Kissed the Teacher" is listed alongside "Dancing Queen" as an example of the group's "soaring female harmonies, uplifting melodies, and festive instrumental touches" in their earlier hits. Chris Joens of the Chicago Tribute, in a review of the Mamma Mia musical, noted "A soundtrack has become a discography. I've even almost forgotten my favorite ABBA ditty, 'When I Kissed the Teacher', just because it's not in the show." The Los Angeles Times said "'When I Kissed the Teacher' is the most convincing thing Abba has done because it injects some sly, mocking humor and passion that offsets the group seriousness". Abba - Uncensored on the Record said When I Kissed The Teacher is an example of what was "expected of ABBA". The Teacher in American Society: A Critical Anthology lists "When I Kissed the Teacher" with the Van Halen song "Hot for Teacher" and the Jethro Tull song "Teacher" as examples of "how teachers are viewed by [students] as sexual objects.
Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again version
Lily James, Jessica Keenan Wynn, Alexa Davies and Celia Imrie recorded When I Kissed the Teacher, with a slightly changed lyric, as the first single from the soundtrack of Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again. Their version was released on May 8, 2018, by Capitol[not in citation given] and Polydor Records. It was produced by Benny Andersson, and Björn Ulvaeus plays one of the teachers in the clip.
|Hungary (Single Top 40)||15|
|New Zealand Hot Singles (RMNZ)||17|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||31|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||40|
Other cover versions
- With lyrics in Swedish by Ingela "Pling" Forsman, as När jag kysste lärar'n (meaning the same as the song title in English), the song was recorded by the in av Growing Girls in 1982., charting at Svensktoppen for two weeks between 18–25 April 1982. and with these lyrics the song was also recorded by Leif Bloms, acting as a B-side of the 1991 single Jag sjunger för dej (I Write You a Love Song) and also appearing on the 1993 album Dej ska jag älska all min tid.
- Ann Christy recorded the Flemish rendering "Toen ik Leraar kuste" for her 1977 album Bravo: Christy also recorded "When I Kissed the Teacher" with its original English lyric for her 1977 album My Love, My Life.
- On the 1995 New Zealand tribute album Abbasalutely, the song is covered by The Magick Heads.
- In 1977, Tina Arena and John Bowles recorded a version for their album "Tiny Tina and Little John".
- The San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus recorded a cover of the song for their 1997 album ExtrABBAganza!.
- Palm, C. (2005). Abba: The Complete Guide to their Music. p. 36. ISBN 1844495051.
- "Rio de Janeiro". www.abbaomnibus.net.
- Scott, R. (2003). ABBA Thank You for the Music. p. 74. ISBN 1842227939.
- "Arrival". allmusic. Retrieved 2009-02-13.
- Roy Fisher; Ann Harris; Christine Jarvis (2008). "Education in Popular Culture: Telling Tales on Teachers and Learners". ISBN 9780415332422. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- ABBA Related Places – Magnus Härenstam
- "More ABBA Gold: More ABBA Hits". allmusic. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- "The Definitive Collection". allmusic. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- Louise FitzGerald; Melanie Williams (2013-04-15). "Mamma Mia! The Movie: Exploring a Cultural Phenomenon". ISBN 9781848859425. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- Tobler, John (2012-01-04). "Abba - Uncensored on the Record". ISBN 9781908538239.
- McNulty, Bernadette (9 July 2008). "Abba: take a chance on these" – via www.telegraph.co.uk.
- Hilburn, Robert (24 March 2009). "ABBA set reveals more than one-hit wonder" – via LA Times.
- Robert Hilburn (Jul 19, 1979). "Abba to start U.S. tour in Seattle". The Spokesman-Review.
- [dead link]
- "British Regress to Innocent '50s". Los Angeles Times. Feb 1, 1977.
- Eugene f. Provenzo, Jr (2010-02-02). "The Teacher in American Society: A Critical Anthology". ISBN 9781412965934.
- "ABBA's 'When I Kissed the Teacher' Receives Modern Makeover in 'Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again': Watch". Billboard. 27 July 2018.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Single (track) Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved 16 August 2018.
- "IRMA – Irish Charts". Irish Recorded Music Association. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "NZ Hot Singles Chart". Recorded Music NZ. July 30, 2018. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- "Sverigetopplistan – Sveriges Officiella Topplista". Sverigetopplistan. Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 18 August 2018.
- "När jag kysste lärar'n". Svensk mediedatabas. 1982. Retrieved 30 May 2011.
- "Svensktoppen". Sveriges Radio. 1982. Retrieved 30 May 2011.
- "Jag sjunger för dej - Svensk mediedatabas (SMDB)". smdb.kb.se.
- "Dej ska jag älska all min tid - Svensk mediedatabas (SMDB)". smdb.kb.se.