When I See You Smile
|"When I See You Smile"|
|Single by Bad English|
|from the album Bad English|
|B-side||"Heaven Is A 4 Letter Word"/"Best Of What I Got"|
|Released||September 16, 1989|
|Bad English singles chronology|
When I See You Smile is a song by American/British hard rock band Bad English. It was released in September 1989 as the second single taken from their self-titled debut album of the same name, released in 1989. The power ballad was a huge success and went on to become the band's first and only US number one hit when it peaked there in the fall of 1989 for two weeks.
In the video the band are performing on a stage, which contains close-up shots of its members. The footage was taken at one of their arena concerts. It shows Jonathan Cain's distinctive synthesizer opening and moves into the soft initial vocal work of John Waite. The tempo picks up with Deen Castronovo's drum work and Neal Schon's trademark guitar during which Waite becomes more emphatic vocally; the song finishes with Waite's soft vocals. The complete video was directed by Jonathan Cain and can easily be found on YouTube.
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||1|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||61|
|US Billboard Hot 100||1|
|US Billboard Adult Contemporary||11|
|US Billboard Album Rock Tracks||10|
- In 1992, 16-year-old reggae artist Singing Sweet scored a hit cover version in Jamaica and on the dancehall scene in the United States.
- "Bad English - Chart history". Billboard. Retrieved 2014-02-26.
- "Australian-charts.com – Bad English – When I See You Smile". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "BAD ENGLISH | Artist". Official Charts. Retrieved 2014-02-26.
- "Entertainment :: Singing Sweet eyes top spot again :: May 13, 2009". The Jamaica Star. 2009-05-13. Retrieved 2014-02-26.
- "Singing Sweet - Jamaicansmusic.com". Mail.jamaicansmusic.com. 2013-01-21. Retrieved 2014-02-26.
"Listen to Your Heart" by Roxette
|Billboard Hot 100 number-one single
November 11 – 18, 1989
"Blame It on the Rain" by Milli Vanilli