When It's Over (Sugar Ray song)
|"When It's Over"|
|Single by Sugar Ray|
|from the album Sugar Ray|
|Released||May 15, 2001|
|Songwriter(s)||McGrath, Frazier, Sheppard, Bullock, Karges|
|Sugar Ray singles chronology|
"When It's Over" is a song by American rock band Sugar Ray and it was released in May 2001 as the lead single from their self-titled fourth album Sugar Ray. The song reached number 6 in New Zealand, number 13 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 32 on the UK Singles Chart.
"When It's Over" is a song about having feelings for a person after the end of a relationship in which there were repeated breakups before. The music video (directed by McG) features segments of each band member's fantasy about a music video for the song, ending with the band partying on the beach. Stan Frazier's portion is first and it's consisted of him destroying a set, on which they play. Murphey Karges' portion is next and it shows the band performing as an Irish punk rock group. DJ Homicide's portion shows the group entering a strip club. Rodney Sheppard's segment portrays his love of kung fu, as he fights Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as Bruce Lee in his yellow jumpsuit. Mark McGrath's segment is last and it has the band in the 1980s imitating Duran Duran's "Is There Something I Should Know?" music video, incorporating elements of "I Ran (So Far Away)" by A Flock of Seagulls and Cars by Gary Numan. Sugar Ray's mascot, the bulldog, is also shown at the end of the music video in a brief cameo. A scooter accident can be seen near the end of the video (right).
An alternate music video aired on Cartoon Network, directed by Mark Marek and Ric Heitzman, with the band members depicted as cartoon characters. Frazier was dressed as George Jetson from The Jetsons and playing golf, while McGrath was playing basketball.
- "BillboardHot 100 chart position". Retrieved May 17, 2008.[dead link]
- "Australian-charts.com – Sugar Ray – When It's Over". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Musicline.de – Sugar Ray Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Italiancharts.com – Sugar Ray – When It's Over". Top Digital Download.
- "Charts.nz – Sugar Ray – When It's Over". Top 40 Singles.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Sugar Ray Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Sugar Ray Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Sugar Ray Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard. Retrieved May 5, 2019.
- "Sugar Ray Chart History (Adult Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "End of Year Charts 2001". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved December 11, 2017.