When She Was My Girl
|"When She Was My Girl"|
|Single by Four Tops|
|from the album Tonight!|
|B-side||"Something to Remember"|
|Writer(s)||Larry Gottlieb, Marc Blatte|
|Four Tops singles chronology|
"When She Was My Girl" is a 1981 single released by American vocal group the Four Tops. The song, their first release off Casablanca Records, helped to return the former signature Motown act to the American pop Top 40 charts, peaking at number 11 on the US Billboard Hot 100, number 10 on the Cashbox chart, and reaching number one on the R&B charts.
Internationally, it reached number nine in Canada, number six in New Zealand, and also became their first top ten hit in the UK in nine years, reaching number three. Their top 40 showing made the group one of the few acts to have top 40 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 in three consecutive decades.
"When She Was My Girl" was a Grammy nominee for best R&B song.
- Lead vocals by Levi Stubbs
- Background vocals by Renaldo "Obie" Benson, Abdul "Duke" Fakir and Lawrence Payton
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 212.
- "NZ Top 40 Singles Chart | The Official New Zealand Music Chart". Nztop40.co.nz. 1982-01-10. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- "Chartfile Top 100" Record Mirror 26 December 1981: 27
- "American Top 40 Year-End Survey 1972". Lionking.org. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
"Endless Love" by Diana Ross and Lionel Richie
|Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs number one single
October 10–17, 1981
"Never Too Much" by Luther Vandross