When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes
|When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes|
|Studio album by Yellowcard|
|Released||March 22, 2011|
|Recorded||September 20 – November 8, 2010|
|Singles from When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes|
When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes is the seventh studio album released by American rock band Yellowcard on March 22, 2011 under Hopeless Records. The album has received positive reviews. The album's title comes from a text message sent to a girl by lead singer Ryan Key.
Later in 2011, the band released an acoustic version of the album.
Following the band's reformation after their hiatus (from 2008–2010), they immediately began working on their new album. Ryan Key, who had previously been in a small project with Reeve Oliver vocalist/guitarist Sean O'Donnell (who was chosen as Pete Mosely's replacement after he declined to return) called "Big If", confirmed that some of Big If's songs were going to be reworked by Yellowcard and included on the new album.
On August 3, 2010, the band announced that they were going into the studio on September with Neal Avron to record the new album. While in the studio, they revived "Yellowcard Sessions" (Yellowcard's YouTube updates), and recorded studio updates that were shown originally on Rock Sound magazine's website.
On November 8, 2010, Yellowcard finished recording their seventh studio album. On November 13, 2010, the new album title was announced to be When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes at a show at the Glass House in Pomona, California, where they also played "For You and Your Denial," the first song to be played from the album. Ryan Key confirmed that there would not be a title track.
On December 9, 2010, the artwork for the album was posted on the official site of the band. On January 5, 2011, the band revealed the album's track list. The first single to be released from the album was "For You, and Your Denial", which was released January 18, 2011, on iTunes.
The band also stated that there will be 2 full-band bonus tracks not featured on the main track list, one of which ("Promises") was released with the album on iTunes, the other one being a re-done version of the Big If song "Empty Street" which was actually later included on their eponymous tenth and final album.
On October 24, 2011, Yellowcard released an Acoustic version of When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes. It features all ten of the album tracks, with special guest vocalist Cassadee Pope from Hey Monday featured on "Hang You Up."
On October 25, 2011, the music video for "Sing For Me" debuted on MTV2.
|Drowned in Sound|||
|Rock on Request||(favorable)|
Reception to When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes was mainly positive. AbsolutePunk reviewer Thomas Nassiff summarized the reunion album as "a holistic recap of the band's career that still shows good progression" and "one very important thing: Yellowcard is back, and they're back for good". Jared Ponton of Sputnikmusic, in his review giving the album 4 out of 5 stars, explained, "The record bleeds with the best that Yellowcard have done thus far, yet in a fresh context, bursting with newfound energy after a short hiatus that, in hindsight, was certainly needed." Allmusic reviewer Gregory Heaney, who gave the album one of its lowest critical ratings at 3 out of 5 stars, published a more mixed review, while remarking on the band's progression away from catchy violin-driven melodies and toward music focused on the songwriting's impact.
|1.||"The Sound of You and Me"||4:36|
|2.||"For You, and Your Denial"||3:33|
|3.||"With You Around"||3:01|
|4.||"Hang You Up"||4:02|
|5.||"Life of Leaving Home"||3:24|
|8.||"Sing for Me"||3:54|
|9.||"See Me Smiling"||3:50|
|10.||"Be the Young"||3:56|
|iTunes bonus track|
|11.||"Sing for Me" (acoustic)||3:48|
|Japanese bonus track|
|11.||"Life of Leaving Home" (acoustic)||3:30|
|Australian Albums Chart||41|
|Dutch Rock Albums||2|
|UK Albums Chart||84|
|UK Rock Albums||5|
|US Billboard 200||19|
|US Billboard Rock Albums||5|
|US Billboard Alternative Albums||5|
|US Billboard Independent Albums||2|
- "Yellowcard Signs To Hopeless Records, New Album 2011". Driven Far Off. August 3, 2010. Retrieved 2011-03-11.
- Twitter / Yellowcard Fans
- Alter The Press!: Album Review: Yellowcard – When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes
- Yellowcard – When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes | Review Rinse Repeat
- Yellowcard – When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes | Review: Kill Your Stereo
- "Yellowcard Sessions: Guitar Center(Guitarmageddon!!)". YouTube. September 29, 2010. Retrieved 2011-03-11.
- "Yellowcard Studio Blog". Rocksound.tv. September 27, 2010. Retrieved 2011-03-11.
- "Yellowcard- "For You And Your Denial" *HQ*". YouTube. November 14, 2010. Retrieved 2011-03-11.
- "Twitter / William Ryan Key: @He_Will nope just the rec". Twitter. December 2, 2010. Retrieved 2011-03-11.
- "Official news release of the album". Yellowcardrock.com. February 20, 2011. Retrieved 2011-03-11.
- "Yellowcard track listing". Under The Gun Review. January 5, 2011. Retrieved 2011-03-11.
- Twitter / Yellowcard: Check out a sneak peek of our new video premiering this Tuesday on MTV2 and MTVU! http://bit.ly/hRdDly
- Twitter / Yellowcard: The #singforme video is up now! http://dlvr.it/s6dz5
- Nassiff, Thomas (March 7, 2011). "Yellowcard – When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes – Album Review". AbsolutePunk. Archived from the original on November 2, 2015. Retrieved March 23, 2011.
- Heaney, Gregory (March 21, 2011). "When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes – Yellowcard". Allmusic. Retrieved March 23, 2011.
- Manley, Brendan (2011). "When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes". Alternative Press (April 2011): 113.
- Khan, Joshua (March 21, 2011). "REVIEW: Yellowcard – "When You're Through Thinking.."". BLARE Magazine. Retrieved March 25, 2011.
- Cooke, Robert (March 18, 2011). "Yellowcard – When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes". Drowned in Sound. Retrieved April 23, 2012.
- Avina, Anthony (March 25, 2011). "Yellowcard Returns With 'When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes'". Rock on Request. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- Bangs, Amy (March 22, 2011). "Yellowcard – When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes". Rock Sound. Retrieved March 23, 2011.
- Ponton, Jared (March 14, 2011). "Yellowcard – When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes (staff review)". Sputnikmusic. Retrieved March 23, 2011.
- "iTunes - Music - When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes (Deluxe Version) by Yellowcard". iTunes. Retrieved 25 December 2014.
- Album Top 40 from the Official UK Charts Company
- Independent Albums | Billboard.com
- When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes at YouTube (streamed copy where licensed)
- When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes at Metacritic