When You Look Me in the Eyes
|"When You Look Me in the Eyes"|
|Single by Jonas Brothers|
|from the album Jonas Brothers|
|B-side||"S.O.S" (Live version)|
|Released||January 25, 2008|
|Jonas Brothers singles chronology|
|"When You Look Me in the Eyes"|
|Song by Nick Jonas|
|from the album Nicholas Jonas|
"When You Look Me in the Eyes" is a song by the American pop rock band Jonas Brothers. The song was released as the band's third single from their self-titled second album, Jonas Brothers, in 2007. In the United Kingdom, it was released as a double-A side with "Burnin' Up".
There are two versions of the song, featuring different lyrics and production: the first was released on Nick Jonas's solo album, Nicholas Jonas (Joe and Kevin Jonas Sr. (dad) feature on the song, and Kevin Jonas (brother) plays guitar), and the second was released on the album Jonas Brothers. Jason Nevins produced a dance remix of the latter version for promotional release.
The band's Look Me in the Eyes Tour was named after the song, their most current single at the time of the tour.
The song was released as the first single on the third album A Little Bit Longer in Japan, re-titled in Japanese as "Mitsumeau Koi" (見つめあう恋, "Love Is Watching Each Other"). The song was featured on the album Now: The Hits of Spring 2008 in Australia, and Now! 13 in Canada.
Background and composition
A 23 second sample of "When You Look Me in the Eyes" by Jonas Brothers, where a portion of the chorus is heard.
Problems playing this file? See media help.
When You Look Me in the Eyes, "avoids wallowing in cliche by featuring the ever-present youthful energy of Nick and Joe Jonas sharing vocals. Turning the song into a vocal duet lifts this record well above banality."
The music video premiered on January 25, 2008 on YouTube and on the Disney Channel after the worldwide premiere of Minutemen, and on April 20, 2008 on Disney Channel Asia. It shows the Jonas Brothers playing the song during a concert and footage of their personal lives. The video features the brothers' younger brother, Frankie Jonas, and is in black-and-white. The Disney Channel edit of the video features fans holding up a different sign from the one featured in the edit of the video released elsewhere. The video includes pieces filmed by Joe. Most of the music video was filmed inside The Eagles Club (The Rave) or outside in downtown Milwaukee, Wisconsin and in the Chicago, Illinois area.
US and Europe CD single
- "When You Look Me in the Eyes" (Album version) — 4:09
- "S.O.S" (Live version) — 2:35
"When You Look Me in the Eyes" reached number 25 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. On August 15, 2008, the song re-entered the Australian ARIA Singles Chart, peaking at number 46; it became their highest-peaking song on the chart, surpassing "S.O.S" (number 47), but this record was surpassed again, with "Burnin' Up", peaking at number 38. It entered the UK Singles Chart at number 30, as part of a double-A side with "Burnin' Up". It has sold 1,180,000 copies in the US.
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||46|
|Brazilian Singles Chart (ABPD)||8|
|Canadian Hot 100||30|
|Japan Hot 100||3|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||30|
|US Adult Top 40 (Billboard)||38|
|US Billboard Hot 100||25|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||16|
|Venezuela Pop Rock (Record Report)||3|
The American singer Austin Mahone has covered the song, and it's become one of his biggest songs on tour. When Austin performs the song, he invites one girl on stage to be the object of his affection.
- Trust, Gary (February 17, 2015). "Ask Billboard: Jonas Brothers Want to Know Their Album & Song Sales". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved February 17, 2015.
- "Australia Singles Top 50 - Music Charts". Acharts.us. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "Brazil" (PDF). ABPD. October 6, 2001. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Jonas Brothers Chart History (Adult Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Jonas Brothers Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Jonas Brothers Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Pop Rock" (in Spanish). Record Report. 2008-04-12. Archived from the original on 2007-07-02.
- Saldana, Hector. "Austin Mahone delights young fans at rodeo". San Antonio Express-News (February 11, 2013). Retrieved October 9, 2017.