When the Boys Come Home
|"When the Boys Come Home"|
Sheet music cover
Oley Speaks composed the song. John Hay wrote the lyrics. The piece was written for both voice and piano. The song, written in first person, takes on a positive tone. The lyrics detail the happiness and celebration that will be felt when the soldiers return home from war.
Another song published in 1918 with the same name had lyrics by John Hay and music by Calvin W. Laufer.
The 1919 version was performed by Louis Graveure and recorded on February 13, 1919. The song was released by Columbia Records. It reached the number nine spot on the US song charts in June 1919.
- Vogel, Frederick G. (1995). World War I songs: A History and Dictionary of Popular American Patriotic Tunes with Over 300 Complete Lyrics. Jefferson, North Carolina, and London: McFarland & Company, Inc. p. 271. ISBN 0899509525.
- "When the boys come home". Library of Congress. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- "Louis Graveure (vocalist: baritone vocal)". Discography of American Historical Recordings. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- "Louis Gravieure Songs". Music VF. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- Heintze, James R. (2009). Music of the Fourth of July: A Year-by-Year Chronicle of Performances and Works Composed for the Occasion, 1777-2008. McFarland & Company. p. 248. ISBN 9780786439799.
|This 1910s song article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|