When the Boys Meet the Girls
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|When the Boys Meet the Girls|
|Directed by||Alvin Ganzer|
|Produced by||Sam Katzman|
|Written by||Robert E. Kent|
|Based on||musical by Guy Bolton and Jack McGowan|
|Music by||Fred Karger|
|Edited by||Ben Lewis|
When the Boys Meet the Girls is a 1965 American musical film directed by Alvin Ganzer and starring Connie Francis and Harve Presnell based on the musical Girl Crazy and a remake of MGM's Girl Crazy (1943 film).
A playboy (Harve Presnell) helps a young woman (Connie Francis) turn her father's Nevada ranch into a haven for divorcees.
- Connie Francis - Ginger Gray
- Harve Presnell - Danny Churchill
- Peter Noone - Himself (as Herman's Hermits)
- Karl Green - Himself (as Herman's Hermits)
- Derek Leckenby - Himself (as Herman's Hermits)
- Keith Hopwood - Himself (as Herman's Hermits)
- Barry Whitwam - Himself (as Herman's Hermits)
- Louis Armstrong - Himself
- Buddy Catlett - Himself
- Domingo Samudio - Sam the Sham (as Sam the Sham)
- Dave Martin - Pharaoh (as The Pharaohs)
- Ray Stinnet - Pharaoh (as The Pharaohs)
- Jerry Patterson - Pharaoh (as The Pharaohs)
- Butch Gibson - Pharaoh (as The Pharaohs)
- Liberace - Himself
- Sue Ane Langdon - Tess Rawley
- Fred Clark - Bill Denning
- Frank Faylen - Phin Gray
- Joby Baker - Sam
- Hortense Petra - Kate
- Stanley Adams - Lank
- Romo Vincent - Pete
- Susan Holloway - Delilah
- Russell Collins - Mr. Stokes (as Russ Collins)
- Pepper Davis - Himself
- Bill Quinn - Dean of Colby (as William I. Quinn)
- Tony Reese - Himself
The film was a remake of MGM's Girl Crazy (1943 film). The remake was produced by Sam Katzman, who made it as the first of five films he did for the studio in 1965. In April 1965 Connie Francis was attached as star.
In June 1965 Jeffrey Hayden was to direct and the stars were announced as Connie Francis, Harve Presnell, Paul Anka, Fran Jeffries and Louis Armstrong.
Presnell played the same role as Mickey Rooney in the original. Presnell said "When we did Molly Brown on Broadway, we had a standing joke whenever I didn't do something right. I said 'Well why don't you get Mickey Rooney?'."
Filming started July 1965.
It was the film debut of Herman's Hermits. MGM were so pleased with their performance they put them in a series of films.
|When the Boys Meet the Girls|
|Soundtrack album by |
|Herman's Hermits British chronology|
|Herman's Hermits American chronology|
|1.||"When the Boys Meet the Girls"||Jack Keller, Howard Greenfield||Connie Francis||2:04|
|2.||"Monkey See, Monkey Do"||Johnny Farrow||Sam the Sham and The Pharaohs||2:33|
|3.||"Embraceable You"||George & Ira Gershwin||Harve Presnell||2:56|
|4.||"Throw It Out of Your Mind"||Billy Kyle, Louis Armstrong||Louis Armstrong & Orchestra||2:10|
|5.||"Mail Call"||Fred Karger, Sid Wayne, Ben Weisman||Connie Francis||2:17|
|6.||"I Got Rhythm"||George & Ira Gershwin||Connie Francis & Harve Presnell||3:34|
|1.||"Listen People"||Graham Gouldman||Herman's Hermits||2:31|
|2.||"Bidin' My Time"||George & Ira Gershwin||Herman's Hermits||2:26|
|3.||"Embraceable You"||George & Ira Gershwin||Connie Francis||2:12|
|5.||"But Not for Me"||George & Ira Gershwin||Connie Francis & Harve Presnell||2:58|
|6.||"I Got Rhythm"||George & Ira Gershwin||Louis Armstrong & Orchestra||1:24|
The New York Times called it "terrible".
In 1966, the year after the film was released, it received some prestigious awards at that year's Laurel Awards ceremony. Harve Presnell was nominated for a Golden Laurel in the category of Musical Performance, Male for his talented musical numbers. Though he did not win, he was awarded 3rd place. Connie Francis was also nominated for a Golden Laurel in the category of Musical Performance, Female for her musical numbers. She did not win either, but came in a gratifying 4th place.
- FILMLAND EVENTS: Sam Katzman Begins Busy Year at MGM Los Angeles Times 26 Dec 1964: 19.
- MOVIE CALL SHEET: 'Rouge' Heads for Broadway Martin, Betty. Los Angeles Times 10 Apr 1965: 19.
- Allen, Rossi Sign Film Pact Martin, Betty. Los Angeles Times 16 June 1965: C13.
- Looking at Hollywood: Red Quiz Suspect's Story Full of Irony Hopper, Hedda. Chicago Tribune 12 June 1965: a3.
- MOVIE CALL SHEET: 'Nine-Tiger' Producer Named Martin, Betty. Los Angeles Times 13 July 1965: C9.
- Presnell: a Real Good Egg Alpert, Don. Los Angeles Times (1923-1995); Los Angeles, Calif. [Los Angeles, Calif]22 Aug 1965: N7.
- MOVIE CALL SHEET: Train Wreck Derails Film Martin, Betty. Los Angeles Times 11 Aug 1965: d12.
- Screen: Gershwin Redone: 'When Boys Meet Girls' Is an Inept Musical New York Times 20 Jan 1966: 29.