This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2015)
|"When the World Screamed"|
|Short story by Arthur Conan Doyle|
"When the World Screamed" is a science fiction short story by British writer Arthur Conan Doyle, featuring his character Professor Challenger. It was first published in Liberty magazine, from 25 February to 3 March 1928.
It is narrated in first person by Mr. Peerless Jones, an expert in Artesian borings who is seen for the first time.
It is the fourth Professor Challenger story and retains only Challenger and Malone from the first novel.
Professor Challenger, with the help of Mr Edward Malone and Mr Peerless Jones, drills into the earth until he reaches the mantle, convinced that it is a sentient being, akin to an echinus, and that by doing so he will be the first person to alert it to mankind's presence. He awakens the giant creature, which then proceeds to destroy his excavation, covering the spectators with a noxious liquid in the process.
- 1928 in science fiction
- The Lost World (1912 Conan Doyle novel)
- The Poison Belt
- The Land of Mist
- "The Disintegration Machine"
- When the World Screamed at the Classic Literature Library
- When the World Screamed audiobook with video at YouTube
- When the World Screamed audiobook at Libsyn
- "Book review: When the World Screamed by Arthur Conan Doyle (1928)". The Long Victorian - c.1789 - 1914. 6 November 2017. Retrieved 23 July 2021.