Whenever We Wanted
|Whenever We Wanted|
|Studio album by John Mellencamp|
|Released||October 8, 1991|
|John Mellencamp chronology|
The album includes the hits "Get A Leg Up" (#1 for three weeks on the Album Rock Tracks chart), "Now More Than Ever" (#3 on the Album Rock Tracks chart), "Last Chance" (#12 on the Album Rock Tracks chart), and "Again Tonight" (#1 for two weeks on the Album Rock Tracks chart). "Get A Leg Up" (#14) and "Again Tonight' (#36) also cracked the Top 40 on the Billboard Hot 100.
Entertainment Weekly gave the album a positive review, stating: "To Mellencamp's credit, even though 'Whenever We Wanted' delivers his signature rock & roll punch, he doesn't try to. That Mellencamp still has the courage to make depressing assessments in a pop context is a victory that outweighs the record's other shortcomings."
Despite calling Whenever We Wanted one of the best records he had ever made during his 1991 promotional radio tour to support the album, Mellencamp's opinion of Whenever We Wanted has since diminished. He told Alan Sculley of Call Newspapers in 2005: "There were some records that I really wasn't there for. I mean, I did a record called Whenever We Wanted, which really isn't a very good record. I mean, I was there, but I was painting. I'd be hours late for sessions just because I was in the middle of a painting. That's not good doing that kind of thing. Human Wheels turned out pretty good, but I kind of was doing the same thing during Human Wheels."
All songs written by John Mellencamp, except where noted.
- "Love and Happiness" – 3:53
- "Now More Than Ever" – 3:43
- "I Ain't Ever Satisfied" – 3:36
- "Get a Leg Up" – 3:47
- "Crazy Ones" (Mellencamp, Randy Handley) – 4:01
- "Last Chance" – 3:39
- "They're So Tough" – 4:17
- "Melting Pot" – 4:47
- "Whenever We Wanted" – 3:42
- "Again Tonight" – 3:17
- "Love and Happiness (London Club Mix)" (2005 re-issue bonus track) - 6:33
- John Mellencamp - vocals, guitar
- Kenny Aronoff - drums, percussion, vibes
- Mike Wanchic - guitar, background vocals
- Toby Myers - bass guitar, background vocals
- David Grissom - guitars
- John Cascella - Hammond B-3, accordion, penny whistle, Farfisa Organ
- Pharez Whitted - trumpet on "Love And Happiness" and "Whenever We Wanted"
|October 26, 1991||The Billboard 200||17|
Singles - Billboard (America)
|1991||"Get A Leg Up"||The Billboard Hot 100||14|
|1991||"Get A Leg Up"||Mainstream Rock Tracks||1|
|1992||"Now More Than Ever"||Mainstream Rock Tracks||3|
|1992||"Last Chance"||Mainstream Rock Tracks||12|
|1992||"Again Tonight"||The Billboard Hot 100||36|
|1992||"Again Tonight"||Mainstream Rock Tracks||1|
- Arnold, Gina (1991-10-25). "Whenever We Wanted Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2012-11-05.
- Christgau, Robert. "CG: John Mellencamp". Robert Christgau.
- Billboard.com - Discography - John Mellencamp - Whenever We Wanted
- Billboard.com - Artist Chart History - John Mellencamp