This article needs to be updated.April 2012)(
St Mary, Wherstead
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||IP2, IP9|
Wherstead is a village and a civil parish located in county Suffolk, England. Wherstead village lies 3 miles (4.8 km) south of Ipswich on the Shotley peninsula. It is in the Belstead Brook electoral division of Suffolk County Council.
It is an ancient settlement, and from its soil the plough has brought to light many evidences of occupation by Romans and by early Britons. In the Domesday Book the place is described under the Old English names Querstede and Wervesteda Toponymic surnames which originate from Wherstead include Quested and Quersted. The name of the village and parish is in today generally pronounced Wersted or Warsted by the residents, the "a" in the latter case having the sound of "a" in father. Wherstead Park Mansion is a notable historic house which has been converted to a wedding venue.
A short ride by train through Ipswich carries one to Bourne bridge, which marks the boundary of Wherstead parish. Near the bridge, on the Wherstead side, stands the Ostrich Inn, as it stood at the time of the New England migration. At the time, oysters were still found in Orwell waters, and the name "Oyster Ridge" had not been corrupted to the name of the exotic bird whose effigy is now the name of the roadside tavern.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistiucs. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 30 August 2016.
- "Belstead Brook Electoral Division Profile 2017" (PDF). Suffolk Observatory. Retrieved 6 May 2020.
- Open Domesday: Wherstead. Accessed April 2020.
- Hanks, Patrick; Coates, Richard; McClure, Peter, eds. (2016). The Oxford Dictionary of Family Names in Britain and Ireland. Oxford University Press. p. 2193. ISBN 9780192527479.
- Merrill, Samuel; A Merrill Memorial, reprint, p 48-49
- "St Mary, Wherstead - suffolkchurches.co.uk". Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "Suffolk Food Hall, Wherstead - suffolkfoodhall.co.uk". Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "Jimmy's Farm, Wherstead - jimmysfarm.com". Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "Wherstead.com". Retrieved 22 April 2012.
Media related to Wherstead at Wikimedia Commons