While She Sleeps
While She Sleeps
While She Sleeps at Rock'n'Heim 2015. From left to right: Mat Welsh, Lawrence Taylor, Adam Savage obscured behind Aaran McKenzie, and Sean Long.
|Origin||Sheffield, England, United Kingdom|
While She Sleeps are an English metalcore band from Sheffield. Formed in 2006, the group consists of vocalist Lawrence Taylor, guitarists Sean Long and Mat Welsh, bassist Aaran McKenzie and drummer Adam Savage. They are currently an independent band in the UK and are signed to SharpTone Records in the US and UNFD in Australia. They have released one EP, The North Stands for Nothing, in 2010, and three studio albums, This Is the Six, Brainwashed and You Are We. They received the Best British Newcomer award at the Kerrang! Awards 2012.
- 1 History
- 2 Musical style and influences
- 3 Awards
- 4 Members
- 5 Discography
- 6 Videography
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Formation and The North Stands for Nothing (2006–2011)
While She Sleeps was formed in Renishaw, near Sheffield, England, in 2006 by vocalist Jordan Widdowson, drummer Adam Savage, bassist Aaran McKenzie and guitarists Mat Welsh and Sean Long. The group had played together in several bands prior to forming While She Sleeps and are described as being "best mates since school". After a handful of live shows, in 2009 the majority of the group decided to focus on the band "full time", however, vocalist Widdowson decided to leave the band due to work commitments. With the addition of vocalist Lawrence Taylor the band began working on material for their debut EP in a home studio. From late 2009 through to 2010 the band toured heavily throughout the UK and eventually in to Europe. With growing public interest, the band finished work on The North Stands for Nothing which was released on 26 July 2010, through Small Town Records. The band held an album launch show on 24 June at The Plug in their hometown and followed its release with extensive touring throughout 2010, including an appearance at Sonisphere Festival. In October, they signed a deal with Good Fight Music to distribute their music in the United States.
Following the release of their mini-album – backed by their extensive touring – the band's popularity continued to increase and interest from media and labels grew. On 15 February 2011, the band recorded a live in session performance at Maida Vale Studios for BBC Radio 1. They also began to work on new material between touring, releasing the non-album single "Be(lie)ve" through Good Fight Music on 15 March 2011. On 4 May, While She Sleeps were invited to open for Bring Me the Horizon in Sheffield at the O2 Academy. In the summer, they performed at several festivals throughout Europe and supported Bring Me the Horizon for two shows in Ireland at the end of August. While She Sleeps were invited to tour the US with Bring Me the Horizon in August through to October. However, While She Sleeps had to cancel their dates in the US, citing problems with immigration. In October, the band went on their first headline tour through the UK and Europe, with support from Bury Tomorrow and Feed the Rhino.
This Is the Six (2012–2014)
On 1 November 2011, While She Sleeps began working on their debut album with producer Carl Bown. First working in Chapel Studios in Lincolnshire, England, to record drums before moving to Treehouse Studios in Chesterfield, England, to record the rest of the album. After recording had finished, the band toured the UK in February 2012 as part of the Kerrang! Tour alongside New Found Glory, The Blackout, and letlive. It was announced on 27 March, that While She Sleeps had signed with Search and Destroy Records to release their début album. On 4 April, Kerrang! magazine revealed that the upcoming album This Is the Six will be released on 6 August 2012 however the release date was later changed to 13 August. The title track "This Is the Six" was released as the first single from the album on 13 May. While She Sleeps are scheduled to appear at festivals and shows throughout the UK and Europe in the summer, including their first appearance at Download Festival. Followed by their first tour of Australia as direct support for House vs Hurricane, in late July and early August. On 7 June 2012, While She Sleeps won an award for Best British Newcomer at the Kerrang! Awards 2012.
Following the success of their debut album, This Is the Six, released 13 August 2012, While She Sleeps embarked on a full 9 date headline UK tour during September with support from Polar, Crossfaith and Bleed from Within. The band then embarked on a European Tour in the Fall, supporting Architects alongside Heights. While She Sleeps then joined Motionless In White and Betraying The Martyrs to support Asking Alexandria in their UK and European Tour. The band also played the Soundwave Festival across Australia during 2013. The band supported Parkway Drive across America and Canada during spring 2013. The band, following this, embarked on a short headline run of the UK when returning from the Parkway Drive tour. While She Sleeps were also confirmed on 4 January 2013 to be playing the entire length of Vans Warped Tour in America and Canada.
Origin of the name
In an EMP interview in 2013, the singer Lawrence explained that the name of the band originated from a magazine with a story of a woman murdering her husband while he slept, and changed it to "she" instead of "he." Lawrence also explained that he likes to view the name as a reference to a vehicle or a ship sunken in the bottom of the sea, as ships and other vehicles are often referred with the feminine pronoun.
Taylor's throat surgery and Brainwashed (2014–2016)
During Warped Tour, they confirmed they had started to write their second full-length studio album. The latter part of 2013 saw vocalist Taylor suffer from vocal problems, leading to the band cancelling shows into 2014 in order for him to undergo throat surgery and recovery.
While She Sleeps announced a release for their second full-length studio album, Brainwashed on March 23, 2015. To support the album, the band embarked on a co-headline tour with Cancer Bats in April 2015, while also playing 2015's Warped Tour.
You Are We (2016-2018)
In early 2016, the band mentioned that they had begun writing for their third studio album. On 29 July, they announced that recording for the album had begun in their recently built studio. On 4 September, they revealed the first song, titled "Civil Isolation", and on 12 September launched pre-orders and a PledgeMusic campaign for the album. Also on September 12, they parted ways with their record label. The first single, "Hurricane", was released on 20 November, alongside an announcement that the album will be titled You Are We and released on 21 April 2017. The same day the band announce their signing to Australian independent label UNFD. On 23 February 2017, they released a song titled "Silence Speaks" featuring Oliver Sykes, vocalist of Bring Me the Horizon. In April 2017, the group embarked on a month long tour of The United Kingdom and Ireland.
So What? (2018-present)
On June 7, 2018, the band announced that they are in the process of writing their next album. They also released a special edition of You Are We on July 20, featuring unheard material, demos and live tracks from their September 2017 stripped down show at St Pancras Church.
On October 26th, 2018, the band posted an image of an individual in a white hazmat suit and gas mask across their social media. The figure held a flash drive, which the posts said contained new music from the band, and could be retrieved from these figures at numerous locations in England. The song on the drive was a snippet of the first single, "Anti-Social," which premiered on October 28th on the BBC Radio 1 Rock Show.
On the music video for "Anti-Social", the band announced "So What?" as the title for their fourth studio album. It is scheduled to be released March 1st through Sleeps Brothers, their own label, and in collaboration with Spinefarm Records. The band said that they wanted total creative control and so chose to self-release and partner up with a label.
Musical style and influences
While She Sleeps' musical style has often been described as metallic hardcore (a term used to describe hardcore punk-leaning metalcore) by reviewers. They’ve also been called just hardcore punk. They have cited post-hardcore, hardcore and alternative metal bands including Thrice, Slipknot, Foo Fighters, Underoath, Refused, Comeback Kid, Gallows and Alexisonfire as musical influences. The band's sound typically features heavily down-tuned guitars, thick bass tones, screamed vocals and fast-paced drumming – occasionally complimented by melodic guitar tones and piano interludes. When questioned about the progression between their debut EP The North Stands for Nothing and their 2012 studio album This Is the Six, guitarist Welsh said that they have not changed their sound drastically, saying "it's super heavy but then it's melodic too".
- Kerrang! Awards
|2012||While She Sleeps||Best British Newcomer||Won|
- Heavy Music Awards
|2018||You Are We||Best Album||Won|
- Studio albums
- The North Stands for Nothing (2010)
|"Crows"||2011||The North Stands for Nothing||GETDELUXE Films|
|"Be(lie)ve"||The North Stands for Nothing (Deluxe edition) and This is the Six|
|"20 Days of Sleeps"||Documentary|
|"This Is The Six"||2012||This Is the Six||N/A|
|"Dead Behind The Eyes"||GETDELUXE Films|
|"Our Courage, Our Cancer"||N/A|
|"Death Toll"||2013||This Is The Six (Deluxe edition)||N/A|
|"New World Torture"||2014||Brainwashed||N/A|
|"Trophies of Violence"||2015||N/A|
|"Civil Isolation"||2016||You Are We||N/A|
|"You Are We"||2017||N/A|
|"Silence Speaks"||GETDELUXE Films|
|"Empire of Silence"||Ryan Chang|
|"Steal The Sun"||Ryan Chang|
|"Anti-Social"||2018||So What ?||GETDELUXE Films|
|"HAUNT ME"||2018||So What ?||AARAN MCKENZIE Films|
- Territt, Katie (2012-05-17). "Stereoboard speak to While She Sleeps about new album 'This Is The Six' & breaking their mold!". Stereoboard. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- Interview: While She Sleeps. Hit The Floor Magazine. Event occurs at 1:30. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- McKenzie, Aaran (2012-06-06). "WSS Bassist confirms reasons behind previous vocalists departure". Archived from the original on 6 June 2012. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- "While She Sleeps". The Agency Group. 2010. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "While She Sleeps – The North Stands for Nothing. Album Launch". The Plug. 2010-06-24. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- Bezer, Terry (2010-08-10). "Sonisphere Review: Motley Crue, Audrey Horne, While She Sleeps". Metal Hammer. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "While She Sleeps signs with Good Fight Music". Blabbermouth.net. 2010-10-15. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- Carter, Daniel P. (2011-02-15). "While She Sleeps In Session". BBC. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "Be(lie)ve – single". iTunes. 2011-03-15. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- Reid, Sean (January 2011). "Parkway Drive and While She Sleeps Added to BMTH Sheffield Show". Alter The Press!. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "While She Sleeps Forced To Cancel US Tour". Legends Arising. 2011-08-20. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- While She Sleeps Headline Tour October 2011!. While She Sleeps. 2011-09-30.
- "While She Sleeps studio diary Part 1". Rock Sound. 2011-11-11. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "While She Sleeps studio diary Part 2". Rock Sound. 2011-12-06. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "Check out the new While She Sleeps track!". Kerrang!. 2012-04-02. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "Brand New Sony Music/Raw Power Management Label 'Search & Destroy' Sign Don Broco & While She Sleeps". Hit The Floor Magazine. 2012-03-27. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "While She Sleeps reveal details of their new album". Kerrang!. 2012-04-04.
- "Important News For This Is The Six". wssofficial. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- "While She Sleeps To Release New Single 'This Is The Six'". Metal Hammer!. 2012-05-01. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- Stickler, Jon (2012-06-01). "Download Festival Reveals Stage Times". Stereoboard. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "House vs. Hurricane + While She Sleeps + Northlane + Heights". Loud. 2012-05-17. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "The Kerrang! Awards Fuelled By Relentless Energy Drink 2012 – The Winners!". Kerrang!. 2012-06-07. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
- Taylor, Lawrence. "WHILE SHE SLEEPS - Flunky Ball" (Interview). Interviewed by Jan C. Müller. Summer Breeze Open Air, Dinkelsbühl, Germany: EMP Rockinvasion. Retrieved 23 February 2018.
- "While She Sleeps' Loz Taylor To Undergo Throat Surgery". Rock Sound. 2 December 2013. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- "While She Sleeps To Give Away New Music On Saturday". Kerrang!. 26 October 2018. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- "Blood Runs Deep: 23 Bands Who Shaped Punk". Alternative Press. July 7, 2008. pp. 110, 118.
- "While She Sleeps Interview". Heavymetal.about.com. Retrieved 2015-12-31.
- "Album Review: While She Sleeps - This is the Six : Beyond The Watch". Archives.beyondthewatch.com. 2013-01-30. Retrieved 2015-12-31.
- "Exclusive: While She Sleeps new video Australian premiere | News". Killyourstereo.com. 2013-04-29. Retrieved 2015-12-31.
- "While She Sleeps 'The North stands For Nothing' Review". Metal Hammer. Future Publishing. 10 February 2011. Archived from the original on 7 April 2013. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- "While She Sleeps - This Is The Six | Album Reviews | Big Cheese Magazine - punk, metal and rock music news, reviews, interviews and more". Big Cheese Magazine. Retrieved 2015-12-31.
- "The Impassioned Sounds of While She Sleeps". HighWire Daze. 2015-07-14. Retrieved 2015-12-31.
- N/A, N/A. "Last.Fm While She Sleeps". last.fm. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- "This Is The Six: While She Sleeps' Top Six Music Videos ... Part 1". Metal Hammer!. 2012-05-14. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "This Is The Six: While She Sleeps' Top Six Music Videos ... Part 2". Metal Hammer!. 2012-05-15. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "This Is The Six: While She Sleeps' Top Six Music Videos ... Part 3". Metal Hammer!. 2012-05-16. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "This Is The Six: While She Sleeps' Top Six Music Videos ... Part 4". Metal Hammer!. 2012-05-17. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "This Is The Six: While She Sleeps' Top Six Music Videos ... Part 5". Metal Hammer!. 2012-05-18. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "While She Sleeps picking up Best Album for 'You Are We' at #HMA18". Heavy Music Awards. 2018-08-26.