Whip It (Nicki Minaj song)
|Song by Nicki Minaj|
|from the album Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded|
|Released||April 2, 2012|
|Recorded||2012, Conway Studios|
(Los Angeles; California)
"Whip It" is a song by American rapper and singer Nicki Minaj, taken from her second studio album Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded (2012). It was written by Minaj, RedOne, Alex Papaconstantinou, Björn Djupström, Bilal Hajji, and Hector and produced by RedOne and Papaconstantinou. "Whip It" is a Eurodance song that utilizes musical genres such as Europop and Euro disco, while also being influenced by other genres such as Latin pop, electronic dance, techno and electro. Lyrically, the song is about an attraction to somebody at a club.
The song received generally mixed reviews from music critics, with some calling it one of the "better dance cuts" on the album while comparing it to artists such as Jennifer Lopez whilst others criticized it as "filler" and "generic". Due to digital sales from the album, the song charted in Canada, Japan, the United Kingdom and United States the week after the album's release. Minaj performed the song for the first time at Wango Tango.
Background and recording
Following the success of Minaj's debut album, Pink Friday, Cash Money co-CEO, Brian "Birdman" Williams announced to Billboard that Minaj was aiming for a first quarter release in 2012. In November 2011, Minaj announced on Twitter that the album would be released on February 14, 2012, though it was later delayed to April 3, 2012. The album focuses on Roman Zolanski, one of Minaj's alter egos that was first featured on Pink Friday. "Whip It" was written by Minaj, along with Nadir Khayat, Alex Papaconstantinou, Björn Djupström, Bilal Hajji, and Wayne Hector. Production of the song was handled by RedOne, Alex P. Trevor Muzzy and Alex P were responsible for the song's recording, and they were assisted by Jon Sher. Muzzy and Ariel Chobaz mixed "Whip It" with assistance from Sher. Vocal editing of the song was handled by RedOne, Muzzy, and Alex P, while background vocals were provided by RedOne and Jeanette Olsson. Both RedOne and Alex P were solely responsible for "Whip It"'s instrumentation.
On May 24, 2012, a poll was posted on Minaj's official website asking fans to choose the next single(s). The poll was divided into three categories. The second category prompted fans to choose between "Pound the Alarm", "Whip It", and "Va Va Voom". "Va Va Voom" had the most votes and won the poll. "Whip It" came in second place and "Pound the Alarm" came in third. Moments later, Minaj tweeted: "Oop. Just got word that radio 1 in the uk and nova & 2day fm in australia are runnin w/ #poundthealarm due to the amount of requests".
"Whip It" is a Eurodance, Europop, and Euro disco song produced by RedOne and Alex P. It is also influenced by other genres, such as electronic dance, Latin pop, techno, and electro. It was written by Minaj, Nadir Khayat, Alex Papaconstantinou, Björn Djupström, and Bilal Hajji. Minaj raps in a faux-English accent during the course of the song, accompanied with sounds of whips, synths, and also incorporates a guest verse she participated in on the Cassie song "Fuck U Silly". "Whip It" has drawn comparisons to several other musical artists, including Jennifer Lopez, Rihanna, Pitbull, and Britney Spears.
Though being very well received by fans, "Whip It" received polarized reviews from critics. Billboard editor Andrew Hampp gave the song a positive review, while calling it one of the best songs on the album, he also said "One of the better dance cuts on Roman Reloaded, 'Whip It' is good enough to make J. Lo jealous she didn't snare it as a follow-up to 'On the Floor'." Adam Graham of The Detroit News said the song made Minaj sound like a "generic dance-club diva, lost in a sea of pounding bass and EDM flourishes." Tom Ewing of The Guardian gave the song a negative review, stating that the song "mines Eurodisco trashiness so well you can almost smell the Piz Buin." Slant Magazine stated that "Whip It", along with "Starships", "Pound the Alarm" and "Automatic", are "retro-techno-pop earsores comprised of indiscriminately arranged bits of LMFAO's 'Sexy and I Know It', Rihanna's 'We Found Love', and pretty much any recent Britney Spears or Katy Perry song you can name."
Minaj performed "Whip It" for the first time at Wango Tango. Since Wango Tango, Minaj has performed "Whip It" on her Pink Friday Tour. A remixed version of the song also served as an interlude on her Pink Friday: Reloaded Tour.
Credits and personnel
- Recorded at Conway Studios, Los Angeles, California.
- Mixed at Conway Studios, Los Angeles, California.
Credits adapted from the liner notes of Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded, Cash Money Records.
Upon release of Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded, "Whip It" charted on several charts around the world.
|Australian Singles Chart||58|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||85|
|Japan (Japan Hot 100)||91|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||98|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||23|
- "New Nicki Minaj Album Out in Early 2012, Says Birdman". Billboard. November 21, 2011. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- Krishnamurthy, Sowmya (March 1, 2012). "Nicki Minaj Releases 'Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded' Album Art". Rovi Corporation. Retrieved March 4, 2012.
- Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded (Liner notes). Nicki Minaj. Universal Music Group. 2012.
- "Pick Nicki's Next Single!". MyPinkFriday. Nicki Minaj, Young Money Entertainment. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- "Twitter/ Nicki Minaj Status: June 6, 2012". Twitter. Retrieved July 5, 2012.
- Leake, Paul (April 2, 2012). "Nicki Minaj - 'Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded' album review". Click Music. Click Music. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- Ewing, Tom (April 5, 2012). "Nicki Minaj: Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded – review". The Guardian (UK). Guardian news and media. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- Lund, Simon (April 14, 2012). "Nicki Minaj er som en candyfloss drysset med stryknin". Politiken. Orphavest. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- Hampp, Andrew (March 29, 2012). "Nicki Minaj, 'Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded': Track-By-Track Review". Billboard. Rovi. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- Graham, Adam (April 5, 2012). "Review: Nicki Minaj shoots blanks with 'Roman Reloaded'". The Detroit News. The Detroit News. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- Unterberger, Andrew (March 29, 2012). "Nicki Minaj- Whip It". Popdust. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- Daniel, Carl (March 29, 2012). "Album Review: Nicki Minaj – Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded". The Koalition. The Koalition. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- Vena, Joceyln (March 29, 2012). "Nicki Minaj Deserves Her Own Genre On Roman Reloaded". MTV. Viacom. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- Cole, Matthew (April 2, 2012). Nicki Minaj: Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded. Slant Magazine.
- Nicki Minaj Wows at Wango Tango. Rap Up. May 13, 2012.
- The Aria Report. pandora.nla.gov.au.
- "Whip It - Nicki Minaj". Billboard. Rovi. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- "CHART LOG UK: NEW ENTRIES UPDATE". UK Singles Chart. April 14, 2012. Retrieved May 14, 2012.