|Location||Shasta County, California, United States|
|Owner(s)||U.S. Bureau of Reclamation|
|Dam and spillways|
|Type of dam||Embankment|
|Height||282 ft (86 m)|
|Length||1,228 ft (374 m)|
|Spillway capacity||28,650 cu ft/s (811 m3/s)|
|Total capacity||241,100 acre feet (297,400 dam3)|
|Catchment area||202.5 sq mi (524 km2)|
|Surface area||3,220 acres (1,300 ha)|
|Hydraulic head||566 ft (173 m)|
|Turbines||2x 90 MW at Spring Creek Powerplant|
|Installed capacity||180 MW|
|Annual generation||274,224,000 KWh|
The dam is located about 6 miles (9.7 km) west of Redding, and impounds Whiskeytown Lake on the southern flank of the Trinity Mountains. The dam is 282 feet (86 m) high, with a storage capacity of 241,100 acre feet (297,400 dam3) of water.
The dam was one of the first units built of the Trinity River Division of the Central Valley Project, a federal water project intended to provide irrigation water to the eponymous Central Valley. Construction started in August 1960 with clearing operations around the dam site, and excavations for the spillway and outlet tunnels began in October. By late 1961, over one-half of the dam embankment was complete. The dam was topped out on February 7, 1963, and the reservoir was allowed to begin filling. On September 28, it was dedicated by President John F. Kennedy to a crowd of more than 10,000 people.
Water diverted from the Trinity River through the 11-mile (18 km) Clear Creek Tunnel is stored behind Whiskeytown Dam before it is released into the Sacramento River. The water is released to the Sacramento through lower Clear Creek and the Spring Creek Tunnel. The latter furnishes water to the 180 megawatt (MW) Spring Creek Powerplant, which generates about 274 million kilowatt hours (KWh) annually.
- Lewiston Dam
- List of dams and reservoirs in California
- List of United States Bureau of Reclamation dams
- Spring Creek Dam
- Trinity Dam
- Whiskeytown-Shasta-Trinity National Recreation Area
- "Whiskeytown Dam Dimensions". Shasta/Trinity River Division Project. U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. 2009-06-04. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "Whiskeytown Dam Hydraulics & Hydrology". Shasta/Trinity River Division Project. U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. 2009-06-04. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "Shasta/Trinity River Division Project". Central Valley Project. U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. 2011-04-21. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "Whiskeytown Dam (USBR) (WHI)". California Data Exchange Center. California Department of Water Resources. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "Spring Creek Powerplant". Shasta/Trinity River Division Project. U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. 2009-05-13. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- Stene, Eric A. (1996). "Trinity Division: Central Valley Project" (PDF). Bureau of Reclamation History Program. U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "The Story of Whiskeytown" (PDF). U.S. National Park Service. Retrieved 2012-06-05.