Whisper Not (song)
"Whisper Not" is a composition by Benny Golson. It is in a minor key and contains a shout chorus (a special chorus between the final solo and the closing head). Golson's account of writing the piece is that "I wrote it in Boston at George Wein's Storyville club when I was with Dizzy Gillespie's big band. I wrote that tune in 20 minutes." Some sources indicate that the first recording was by Gillespie, while others indicate that trumpeter Lee Morgan was first.
It quickly became popular with other musicians: Thad Jones and Morgan recorded their own versions before its composer had the chance to record it with his own group. Golson's early version was on his 1957 album Benny Golson's New York Scene. By 1960, John S. Wilson, critic at The New York Times, had labelled the song, together with another Golson composition, "I Remember Clifford", "an established part of the jazz repertory". It has been recorded by hundreds of musicians, becoming a jazz standard. Leonard Feather added lyrics, which were recorded by Anita O'Day in 1962 and later by several other prominent vocalists.
Golson remained strongly associated with the tune, and named one of his tours – the "Whisper Not Tour" – after it, half a century after its composition.
- Art Blakey with Lee Morgan and Benny Golson – 1958 Paris Olympia (1958)
- Ella Fitzgerald – Whisper Not (1965)
- Benny Golson with Art Farmer – Benny Golson's New York Scene (1957)
- Shelly Manne – Shelly Manne and His Men at the Black Hawk, Vol. 3 (1959)
- Lee Morgan with Horace Silver and Hank Mobley – Lee Morgan Sextet (1956)
- Anita O'Day – Anita O'Day and the Three Sounds (1962)
- Wilson, John S. (February 28, 1960) "Triple Talent: Golson Is a Composer, Arranger, Performer" The New York Times, p. X16.
- Levine, Mark (1995) The Jazz Theory Book, p. 393. Sher Music.
- Myers, Marc (February 9, 2012) "Interview: Benny Golson" JazzWax.
- "Whisper Not (1956)". jazzstandards.com Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Blumenthal, Bob (2004) In The Complete Argo/Mercury Art Farmer/Benny Golson/Jazztet Sessions [CD liner notes]. p. 13. Mosaic.
- Gioia, Ted (2012) The Jazz Standards: A Guide to the Repertoire, p. 459. Oxford University Press.
- Yanow, Scott Benny Golson: Benny Golson's New York Scene AllMusic.
- Myers, Marc (February 9, 2012) "Serving That Uptown Sound" The Wall Street Journal.
- Cook, Richard and Morton, Brian (2008) The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (9th ed.), p. 568. Penguin.
- Gioia, Ted (2012). The Jazz Standards: A Guide to the Repertoire. New York City: Oxford University Press. p. 458–460. ISBN 978-0-19-993739-4.