Whispers of Betrayal
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article does not cite any sources. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Whispers of Betrayal is a 2000 novel by Michael Dobbs that tells the third story in the Tom Goodfellowe series. It details a group of military officers who try to topple the Prime Minister.
- Tom Goodfellowe MP - Backbench MP, protagonist, offered a senior Cabinet job by Vertue at the end of the novel.
- Colonel Peter Amadeus - Army Officer who wants to bring down the Prime Minister.
- Jonathan Bendall MP - UK Prime Minister, resigns at the end of the book, served for 3 and a half years. Based on Tony Blair
- George Vertue MP - Chancellor of the Exchequer, becomes Prime Minister after Bendall's resignation, based on Gordon Brown
- Noel O. Hope MP - Was the Home Secretary, forced to resign by Bendall, initials were N.O Hope, based on Jack Straw
- Gerald Earwick MP - Defence Secretary, succeeds Hope as Home Secretary, served for around a month before being forced to resign over a gay affair leaked by the plotters. Based on David Blunkett
- Colonel Abel Gittings OBE - Former Signals Officer, senior Ministry of Defence official. Was Mary's commanding officer
- Mary - A soldier in the Signals regiment who joins Amadeus in his plot.
- Scully - A soldier who is divorced who joins Amadeus as well, dies destroying Battersea power station
- McKenzie - Another plotter
- Payne - Another plotter
- Lord "Frankie" - Lord Chancellor, personal friend of Bendall, based on Charles Falconer.
- Eddie Rankin MP - Chief Whip, knows Goodfellowe personally. Based on Nick Brown
- Dame Patricia - senior civil servant, Cabinet Secretary