This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||Meridian House, Fieldhouse Lane, Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom|
Number of locations
|Nick Wells, Chief executive|
Addressed mail sorting|
Business mail services
Number of employees
Whistl, formerly TNT Post UK, is a postal delivery company operating in the United Kingdom. The company primarily competes with UK Mail, UPS, Parcelforce, DHL, Hermes, Royal Mail and Yodel. According to the company, it processes about 25% of the mail in the United Kingdom, amounting to over 3.7 billion items per year in 2015.
As TNT Post, the company was originally a subsidiary of the TNT Group. In May 2011, the group split to form TNT Express and PostNL. TNT Post UK became a subsidiary of PostNL, and an agreement was reached with TNT Express to retain the TNT name until the end of 2014. The company began delivering in West London in April 2012, later rolling out its end-to-end service in Manchester and Liverpool.
The company rebranded as Whistl in September 2014.
In May 2015, Whistl announced that it would suspend door-to-door deliveries in London, Liverpool, and Manchester after the private equity investor LDC, a division of Lloyds Bank, decided not to fund further expansion citing "ongoing changes in postal market in the United Kingdom dynamics and the complexity of the regulatory landscape" and an attempt to stem losses. Whistl confirmed on 10 June 2015 that the service would formally end, with 1,800 jobs at risk of redundancy. The company concentrated on processing and sorting mail and parcels, and reverted to using Royal Mail's "final mile" delivery service rather than its own.
In October 2015, Whistl's management completed a buyout of the company from its parent PostNL, although PostNL retained a 17.5% holding. James Greenbury was subsequently appointed to the board as a senior independent director on 2 November 2015.
In June 2018, Whistl acquired Nottingham-based Parcelhub and its sister company Mail Workshop.
- Neville, Simon (12 May 2015). "2000 staff at Royal Mail rival Whistl were abruptly told to go home yesterday". The Independent.
- "Whistl suspends post delivery service putting 2,000 jobs at risk". BBC News. 11 May 2015. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- Banks, Tom (16 September 2014). "Postal service TNT Post rebrands as Whistl". Design Week. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "Jobs Risk As Whistl Suspends Letterbox Service". Sky News. 11 May 2015. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- "Whistl ends home delivery service, putting 1,800 jobs at risk". BBC News. 10 June 2015. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- "Whistl management buy out completed". Logistics Manager. 26 October 2015. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- Stuart-Turner, Richard (2 November 2015). "Whistl completes MBO and appoints new senior independent director". Print Week. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- "Whistl targets parcel growth with Parcelhub acquisition - Logistics Manager Magazine". Logistics Manager Magazine (Press release). 5 June 2018.
- Whistl – official site