Notharchus macrorhynchos hyperrhynchus
It is found in forest and woodland from southern Mexico through Central America to the Chocó, northern Colombia (including Magdalena Valley), northern Venezuela, and the western and southern Amazon Basin.
This bird measures 25 cm (9.8 in) long. It is mainly black and white, with a prominent black band separating the white chest and belly. This is contrasted on the back with a white neck band separating the black back from the crown. A black eyestripe runs from the beak to the crown, passing through a dark red eye. The bill is massive and black.
It was formerly considered a subspecies of the Guianan puffbird (N. macrorhynchos). The two differ markedly in bill-size (N. hyperrhynchus larger-billed than N. macrorhynchos), plumage (among other things, N. hyperrhynchus has less black to the flanks and more white to the forecrown than N. macrorhynchos), and voice. Consequently, the two were separated by SACC in 2004.
- BirdLife International (2012). "Notharchus hyperrhynchus". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- Garrigues, Richard; Dean, Robert (2007). The Birds of Costa Rica. Ithaca: Zona Tropical/Comstock/Cornell University Press. p. 150. ISBN 978-0-8014-7373-9.
- Zimmer, Kevin (2004). "Split Notharchus hyperrynchus from N. macrorhynchos". A Classification of the Bird Species of South America. South American Classification Committee, American Ornithologists' Union. Retrieved 2008-08-07. External link in
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Notharchus hyperrhynchus.|
|Wikispecies has information related to Notharchus hyperrhynchus|
- "White-necked puffbird media". Internet Bird Collection.
- White-necked puffbird Stamps from Belize at bird-stamps.org
- White-necked puffbird photo gallery at VIREO (Drexel University)
- BirdLife species factsheet for Notharchus hyperrhynchus
- White-necked puffbird species account at Neotropical Birds (Cornell Lab of Ornithology)
- Interactive range map of Notharchus hyperrhynchus at IUCN Red List maps
- Audio recordings of White-necked puffbird on Xeno-canto.
|This Piciformes-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|