Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Keenen Ivory Wayans|
|Produced by||Keenen Ivory Wayans
Lee R. Mayes
|Screenplay by||Keenen Ivory Wayans
Michael Anthony Snowden
|Story by||Keenen Ivory Wayans
|Music by||Teddy Castellucci|
|Edited by||Jeffrey Stephen Gourson
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
109 minutes (PG-13)115 minutes (Unrated)
White Chicks is a 2004 American buddy cop comedy film written, produced and directed by Keenen Ivory Wayans, and also written and produced by Wayans brothers Shawn and Marlon Wayans, who also both starred in the lead roles. The film was released in the United States on June 23, 2004. The film was produced by Revolution Studios and distributed by Columbia Pictures. The plot revolves around whiteface drag, as two African American FBI agents disguise themselves as two white women. Despite negative critical reviews, the film was a financial success, earning $113.1 million worldwide against a budget of $37 million. The film has since gone on to develop a cult following.
||This section's plot summary may be too long or excessively detailed. (March 2014)|
Special FBI Agents Kevin (Shawn Wayans) and Marcus Copeland (Marlon Wayans) botch an assignment to catch an illegal sale and are scolded by Chief Gordon. The chief does not let them in during the briefing about socialite kidnappings and ransoms, assumed to be done by former embezzler Ted Burton, and asks the other agents who would be willing to act as the bodyguards of the spoiled, vapid sisters, Brittany and Tiffany Wilson, whom they believe to be the next target. Nobody accepts, so when Kevin and Marcus burst in, demanding to be in on the case, they are given the task. They pick up the sisters from the airport and drive them to the Hamptons. On the way to the Hamptons, the group gets into a scuffle and crashes on the side of the road, resulting in the sisters receiving a minor cut on their faces. The sisters refuse to go to the Hamptons with cuts on their faces, as they are striving to become the cover models for Hamptons Magazine and the agents, fearing the wrath of their boss for botching another assignment, decide to go undercover as the Wilson sisters using heavy prosthetic makeup.
At the hotel, Kevin and Marcus find other Special FBI Agents Harper and Gomez undercover as hotel employees, and Chief Gordon as a manager. They meet the Wilson sisters' best friends, Karen, Lisa, and publicist Tori, as well as their chief rivals for the cover of Hamptons Magazine, twins Megan and Heather Vandergeld. They find out that Karen is in love and sleeping with Heather's boyfriend Heath, a poor, out of work actor; although Heath promises to leave Heather for her, he admits to his friend Russ that he will not leave Heather while he has business dealings with her father. Kevin is smitten with reporter Denise Porter. While shopping for an outfit for the charity dinner, Marcus' wife Gina calls and takes the background noise out of context to believe that he is cheating on her. Meanwhile, Latrell Spencer falls in love with Tiffany, unknown by him to be Marcus, and during the auction pays fifty thousand dollars for a date, embarrassing Heather's twenty-thousand dollar date with Heath. Kevin, as Brittany, learns that Denise wants to find a rich man to date and, during Latrell and Tiffany's date steals Latrell's car and house keys and goes on a date with Denise as Latrell. Denise falls in love with him, and unknowingly gives him useful information that Ted Burton has millions embezzled and wouldn't need to kidnap for money.
Later, Kevin and Marcus go to the nightclub and embarrass the Vandergeld twins in a dance-off, but their group's state of excitement dies when Karen is distraught at seeing Heath leave with Heather, and drunkenly reveals that the Vandergelds are broke and Mr. Vandergeld only recently paid her father back the money he loaned to keep his house. After Gina's credit card is declined, she finds out that Marcus bought an expensive dress in the Hamptons and goes there to confront him, and angrily leaves him when she sees Brittany Wilson, unknowing it is Kevin. The real Wilson sisters find the dance-off mentioned in the news and slowly realize that they are being impersonated and go to the hotel. Gomez and Harper sneak into Kevin and Marcus' room and discover that there are Wilson impostors and mistakenly undresses the real Wilson sisters in front of the chief, and they are suspended. The chief confronts Marcus and Kevin and fires them.
Kevin and Marcus find out that Mr. Vandergeld's prints were all over the ransom notes and deduce that he has been kidnapping socialites and holding them at ransom to save himself and his family from poverty. They return disguised as the Wilson sisters and appear in the fashion show, embarrassing the Vandergeld twins once more, but the real sisters appear and accuse them of impersonation. Mr. Vandergeld, with the help of Heath and Russ, attempt to kidnap the sisters in plain sight but Marcus stops them, resulting in a gunshot that scares the guests. Mr. Vandergeld nearly escapes with the sisters, but is stopped. He admits that he has also been stealing money from the charity to save his family from poverty, and tries to shoot Denise when he catches her recording him, but she is saved by Kevin. Latrell also takes a bullet for Marcus when Vandergeld tries to shoot him, but ironically rebuffs Marcus not because he is male but because he is black. Marcus shoots Vandergeld and injures him. Gina sees Kevin in disguise and Marcus gives a heartfelt apology and they reconcile, while Denise falls for Kevin's bravery to protect her. Vandergeld is arrested, and Latrell begins pursuing both of the real Wilson sisters. Tori, Karen, and Lisa admit that they had more fun with the Marcus and Kevin version of the Wilson sisters, and they all agree to keep their friendship intact and go on shopping sprees.
- Shawn Wayans as Kevin Copeland
- Marlon Wayans as Marcus Copeland
- Busy Philipps as Karen Googlestein
- Jessica Cauffiel as Tori
- Jennifer Carpenter as Lisa
- Brittany Daniel as Megan Vandergeld
- Jaime King as Heather Vandergeld
- Terry Crews as Latrell Spencer
- John Heard as Warren Vandergeld
- Frankie Faison as Section Chief Elliott Gordon
- Lochlyn Munro as Special FBI Agent Jacob Harper
- Eddie Velez as Special FBI Agent Vincent Gomez
- Maitland Ward as Brittany Wilson; Her signature color is blue
- Anne Dudek as Tiffany Wilson; Her signature color is pink
- Rochelle Aytes as Denise Porter
- John Reardon as Heath
- Steven Grayhm as Russ
- Casey Lee as Tony
- Faune A. Chambers as Gina Copeland
- Drew Sidora as Shaunice
- David Lewis as Josh
- Heather McDonald as Saleswoman
- Brad Loree as Dealer Henchman
This film received mostly negative reviews from critics. Rotten Tomatoes gives it an aggregate rating of only 15% based on 121 reviews. On Metacritic, the film has a rating of 41 out of 100, based on 31 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews". Film critic Richard Roeper put the film at #1 on his list of the worst films of 2004 amongst claims of unconvincing prosthetics and racism. It was nominated for five Razzies, including Worst Picture, Worst Actress for the Wayans brothers in drag, Worst Director, Worst Screenplay and Worst Screen Couple, but failed to win any of those awards.
The film grossed $70,831,760 at the U.S. box office and $113,048,997 worldwide and has become frequent in its broadcast on cable channels.
- "Latin Thugs" – Cypress Hill
- "Hey Ms. Hilton" – The Penfifteen Club
- "Shake It (Like a White Girl)" – Jesse Jaymes (Copeland)
- "A Thousand Miles" – Vanessa Carlton
- "Realest Niggas" – 50 Cent, Notorious B.I.G.
- "White Girls" – Mighty Casey
- "Dance City" – Oscar Hernandez
- "Trouble" – P!nk
- "U Can't Touch This" – MC Hammer
- "Dance, Dance, Dance" – The Beach Boys
- "Guantanamera" – Jose Fernandez Diaz
- "It's My Life" – No Doubt
- "(I Got That) Boom Boom" – Britney Spears featuring Ying Yang Twins
- "Bounce" (The Bandit Club Remix) – Stock, IC Green
- "Get Low" – Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz featuring Ying Yang Twins
- "Crazy in Love" – Beyoncé, Jay-Z
- "It's Tricky" – Run–D.M.C.
- "This Love" – Maroon 5
- "No Control" – Blackfire
- "I Wanna Know" – Joe
- "Tipsy" – J-Kwon
- "Satisfaction" – Benny Benassi
- "Let's Get It Started" – Black Eyed Peas
- "Move Your Feet" – Junior Senior
- "I Need Your Love Tonight" – Elvis Presley
DVD was released in Region 1 in the United States on October 26, 2004, and also Region 2 in the United Kingdom on 28 February 2005, it was distributed by Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment.
In 2013, Marlon Wayans confirmed an interest in reviving the sequel's production. Marlon has stated: "We're thinking about it, actually seriously talking about doing it. It's the one thing that everybody begs us to do." Wayans went on to recount how an audience in Australia was positively thrilled when he quoted the movie, responding with a "rousing applause." Gabriel Iglesias posted a picture on Instagram captioned: "On the set of White Chicks 2 with @MARLONLWAYANS #OmgYes".
In April 2014, Marlon stated that he wants to do a sequel to the film titled White Chicks 2.
- Cross-dressing in film and television
- Some Like It Hot, a 1959 comedy film starring Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon. Similar story, in which two male musicians dress as women to hide from gangsters in Florida.
- "White Chicks (2004)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2013-08-19.
- "White Chicks". Metacritic. Retrieved May 28, 2015.
- "2004 RAZZIE Nominees & "Winners"". Razzies.com. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- Box Office Mojo, White Chicks, released June 23, 2004, closed date September 9, 2004
- "'White Chicks 2' Is On The Way". Screenrant.com. Retrieved 2014-05-01.
- ""White Chicks 2" is canceled by Sony Pictures". DVD World Report. Retrieved 2014-05-01.
- "Gabriel Iglesias on Instagram: “On the set of White Chicks 2 with @MARLONLWAYANS #OmgYes :p”". Instagram. Retrieved 2015-06-28.
- Witherspoon, Chris (2014-04-10). "Marlon Wayans talks 'White Chicks 2,' defends Nick Cannon in whiteface controversy". theGrio. Retrieved 2014-05-01.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: White Chicks|
- Official website
- White Chicks at the Internet Movie Database
- White Chicks at AllMovie
- White Chicks at Rotten Tomatoes
- White Chicks at Box Office Mojo