White Head Island
|Location||Bay of Fundy|
|Archipelago||Grand Manan Archipelago|
|Area||6.17 km2 (2.38 sq mi)|
|Parish||Grand Manan Parish|
|Pop. density||26.3 /km2 (68.1 /sq mi)|
Long Point Lighthouse at the southern tip of White Head Island
White Head Island
|Year first constructed||1966|
|Tower shape||quadrangular tower with balcony and lantern rising from the fog signal building|
|Markings / pattern||white tower, red lantern|
|Tower height||11 metres (36 ft)|
|Focal height||15.5 metres (51 ft)|
|Light source||solar power|
|Range||12 nautical miles (22 km; 14 mi)|
|Characteristic||Iso W 12s.|
|Fog signal||2s. blast every 20s.|
|CHS number||CCG 25|
|Managing agent||Canadian Coast Guard|
Located within Grand Manan Parish which is part of Charlotte County, New Brunswick, the island is located off the east coast of Grand Manan Island. In 2011 the island had a population of 162. White Head Island is governed as a local service district.
The island has an elementary school which has kindergarten to grade 2 and grades 3 to 6 in two separate classrooms. Recently there have been efforts to move children to the larger Grand Manan Community School however the younger grades remain on White Head due to the ferry crossing. It's the smallest school within the Anglophone South School District of Southern New Brunswick.
The community has a small general store located at the dock where the ferry arrives at the island.
There is a Baptist church on the island that was completed in 1981. However, there are records of a religious house in use until 1928, when the second of three churches was dedicated.
- List of lighthouses in New Brunswick
- List of communities in New Brunswick
- List of islands of New Brunswick
- "White Head, New Brunswick. Census Profile". 2011 Census. Statistics Canada. 2012.
- List of Lights, Pub. 110: Greenland, The East Coasts of North and South America (Excluding Continental U.S.A. Except the East Coast of Florida) and the West Indies (PDF). List of Lights. United States National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency. 2015.
- Southern New Brunswick The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 23 March 2017
- Long Point, NB Lighthouse Friends. Retrieved 23 March 2017
- "...things to do while on Grand Manan". ambleinncottages.com/. September 2018.
- "White Head Schedule". Coastal Transport. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "White Head Baptist Church". Ancestry.com. Ancestry.com. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- Aids to Navigation Canadian Coast Guard
|This New Brunswick location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|