White Mills, Pennsylvania
|White Mills, Pennsylvania|
|Village of White Mills|
The intersection of the Texas Palmyra Highway and White Mills Road in White Mills.
|Nickname(s): White's Mills|
|U.S. Congressional District||PA-10|
|School Districts||Wayne Highlands (Region III)
|• Total||1.517 sq mi (3.927 km2)|
|• Land||1.483 sq mi (3.840 km2)|
|• Water||0.034 sq mi (0.087 km2)|
|Elevation||948 ft (289 m)|
|• Density||444/sq mi (172/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||Eastern Daylight (EDT) (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature IDs||1191289 (Village)
|Waterways||Butcher Pond, Lackawaxen River|
White Mills is located along U.S. Route 6 in the eastern part of Wayne County.
Around 1823, a sawmill was constructed on the Lackawaxen River near where the Chroma Tube factory stands today. At the time, the area between Honesdale and Hawley, Pennsylvania, was sparsely settled, though it is likely that several farms and dwellings dotted the surrounding vicinity. The new mill, built for a Daniel Parry (sometimes spelled Perry) & Company of Philadelphia, and its ancillary buildings were all painted white, which lead to the village being called "White Mills."
As of the Census of 2010, there were 659 people, 280 households, and 191 families in White Mills. The CDP's population density was 444 people per square mile (172/km2), and there were 325 housing units at an average density of 214/sq mi (82.8/km2). The racial makeup of the populace was 96.7% White, 1.1% African American, 1.1% Native American, 0.2% Asian, 0.0% Pacific Islander, 0.5% of other races, and 0.6% of two or more races. Hispanics and Latinos of all races made up 3.0% of the population.
68.2% of White Mills' households were families, 48.9% were headed by a heterosexual married couple (Pennsylvania did not allow same-sex marriage until May 20, 2014, after the 2010 Census had been completed), and 28.6% included children under the age of 18. 13.2% of households were headed by a female householder with no husband present, 6.1% by a male householder with no wife present, and 31.8% consisted of non-families. 28.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 12.8% consisted of a person 65 years of age or older living alone. The average household size was 2.35 and the average family size was 2.83.
White Mills' age distribution was 21.1% under the age of 18, 6.8% between the ages of 18 and 24, 21.9% between 25 and 44, 30.7% between 45 and 64, and 19.6% 65 years of age or older. The population's median age was 45.2 years. For every 100 females, there were 97.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.0 males in the same age range.
According to American Community Survey (ACS) estimates, the median income for a household in White Mills in 2013 was $50,045, and the median income for a family was $49,531. Males had a median income of $34,250, while females had a median income of $18,239. The per capita income for the CDP was $27,661. 11.8% of families and 14.0% of people were below the Census Bureau's poverty thresholds (different from the federally-defined poverty guidelines), including 28.1% of those under age 18 and 0.0% of those age 65 or over.
According to self-reported ancestry figures recorded by the ACS, the five largest ancestral groups in White Mills in 2013 were Germans (40.3%), Irish (25.9%), Italians (18.1%), Americans (12.6%), and Poles (7.5%).
- White, Israel Charles; Dolph, John M. (1881). The Geology of Susquehanna County and Wayne County (Report) 23. Board of Commissioners for the Second Geological Survey of Pennsylvania. p. 68. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "2010 Census Interactive Population Search". Census.gov. U.S. Department of Commerce. 2010. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "District Magistrate". Wayne County, PA. Wayne County Courthouse. 2015. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- 2014 Census National Places Gazetteer File for Pennsylvania (Report). U.S. Department of Commerce. 2014. Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- "White Mills". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. 2 August 1979. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Look up a ZIP CodeTM". USPS.COM. USPS. 2015. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "White Mills Census Designated Place". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. 30 August 2010. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Butcher Pond". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. 2 August 1979. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Palmyra Township". Wayne County Historical Society. Wayne County Historical Society. 2015. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- Goodrich, Phineas G. (1992) . History of Wayne County. Baltimore: Gateway Press, Inc. p. 342.
- Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data for White Mills, Pennsylvania (Report). U.S. Department of Commerce. 2010. Retrieved 5 June 2015.
- Age Groups and Sex: 2010 Census Summary File 1 for White Mills, Pennsylvania (Report). U.S. Department of Commerce. 2010. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- SELECTED ECONOMIC CHARACTERISTICS 2009-2013 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates for White Mills, Pennsylvania (Report). U.S. Department of Commerce. 2013. Retrieved 5 June 2015.
- OCCUPATION BY SEX AND MEDIAN EARNINGS IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS (IN 2013 INFLATION-ADJUSTED DOLLARS) FOR THE CIVILIAN EMPLOYED POPULATION 16 YEARS AND OVER 2009-2013 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates for White Mills, Pennsylvania (Report). U.S. Department of Commerce. 2013. Retrieved 5 June 2015.
- SELECTED SOCIAL CHARACTERISTICS IN THE UNITED STATES 2009-2013 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates for White Mills, Pennsylvania (Report). U.S. Department of Commerce. 2013. Retrieved 29 June 2015.